Dayara Bugyal Trek
Dayara Bugyal, in Uttarkashi district, meaning "high altitude meadow" is at an elevation of 3,408 metres (11,181 ft). The beautiful meadows are developed into ski slopes covering an area of 28 square kilometres (11 sq mi). It is approached from Uttarkashi, up to village Barsu by road and further 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) by a short trek.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.Anonymous
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Dodital
- Departure: Dehradun or Rishikesh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30°50’8″N 78°33’30″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Jolly Grant (Dehradun)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dehradun
- Duration: 4-5 Days
- Dates: On request
- Months: March – June(2nd week), September(3rd week) – December
- Level: Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
While personal opinions may differ, popular consensus places Dayara Bugyal among the most beautiful meadows, and one of the most fulfilling Himalayan trekking experiences whether you are a beginner looking for some soft adventure and a pristine short getaway or whether you want a longer and harder trek which is highly rewarding. This is thanks to the numerous trails that branch out from Dayara Bugyal.
Bugyal stands for a high altitude meadow and this is among the most beautiful that you will come across and because of the terrain and the slopes here, the government has earmarked this place to build a ski centre. If and when it is built, this place will offer one of the best and largest ski slopes anywhere in the Himalayas. Till it isn’t, we offer this is one of our regular treks which really makes people fall in love with the Himalayas.
The terrain is quite unique and ever changing. In the initial bit you feel like you are doing a trek in Himachal thanks to the large and unbroken green valleys, and as you move up this trek starts to feel like a high altitude Garhwal trek with the mountain ranges of the greater Himalayan ranges starting to reveal themselves in a 360 degree view from the Bandarpunch and Kalanag range and on to the Gangotri range, Srikanth, Jaonli ranges etc. In short it has an ever changing landscape with a variety of views that very few other treks can offer.
The best part, this can be a simple 3 day trek, or a challenging 7-8 day trek or even anything in between those and the views are stunning all the time.
While on our fixed departures, you reach a maximum height of about 12,500 ft and we make this a fairly simple 4 day experience with treks ranging from 3-4 hours a day combined with a day of relaxed activities such as rock climbing, cricket and a little soccer at its open fields, we are open to planning a custom one in case you are looking to make this more challenging for you. contact us and we will be glad to personalize this experience to suit you.
On our fixed departure this is a 4-5 day trek along with an additional day or two if you are travelling from Delhi or another city. The trek starts from a place called Barsu which is close to the road connecting Gangotri and Uttarkashi. the road distance from Dehradun is about 190 km.
We trek 20-22 km in total over the four days and camp on the way at Barnala and Dayara. The terrain is well marked all the way and though it is steep and tiring at times, the distances are short on all trekking days and the trek can be undertaken by a first timer with a relative fitness level.
All in all a five to six day trek from Dehradun to Dehradun or from Rishikesh to Rishikesh.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Uttarkashi/Barsu - 6-7 hours drive
- Barsu is Starting point of the Dayara Bugyal trek. This is a beautiful and quaint hill town unlike most towns in Garhwal. A very progressive town and also offers the first views of permanent snow including the Srikanth and Gangotri range. The drive passes Mussourie, the Tehri dam reservoir and Uttarkashi through twisty mountain terrain to reach Barsu. At night camp/at a resort in Barsu.
- Day 2 / Barsu (2300 m/7545 ft.) to Barnala (2600 m/8530 ft.) - 5 km, 3-4 hours trek
- Trek 5 km from Barsu to Barnala. The trek is fairly steep and goes through some very dense forests and opens up into a beautiful meadow. All the way offering very beautiful views. You will be camping at Barnala today and tomorrow. All the facilities with regards to spacious heated tents, sleeping bags, dining tents, chairs and tables, toilet and necessary facilities would be given so that you don't rough it out while still soak in the himalayan camping experience.
- Day 3 / Barnala to Dayara Bugyal (3048 m/10,000 ft.) - 3 km, 2-3 hours
- A steep 3 km trek one way takes you to the Summit of Dayara Bugyal via the beautiful meadows of Barnala. Here it becomes a very beautiful and gradual walk along beautiful summits of interconnecting meadows and offer a 360 degree view of most prominent mountains in the Garhwal region including the Bandarpunch and Kalanag range along with the Gangotri, Jaonli and Srikanth group to the south. Though it will get cold here at night, it is a very beautiful place to camp with a vast expanse of meadows and a beautiful vantage point.
- Day 4 / Trek back from Dayara Bugyal to Barsu - 8 km, 5-6 hours. Stay at Barsu or leave for Dehradun.
- Day 5 (Optional) / If staying previous night at Barsu, then after breakfast depart for Dehradun.
- Camping & Trekking equipments including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, dining tent, toilet tent, hot water bottles, gas heater (when needed)
- Personally trained professional guides, cook, porter/ponies to carry equipment as well as personal luggage.
- Forest entry and permits wherever needed.
- Stay/camping in a resort in Barsu and for the 1st night and the 4th night.
- High comfort/luxury trek facilities.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea etc. (Multi cuisine veg/non-veg prepared by well trained cooks)
- Transportation: From Dehradun/Rishikesh and back. In case you do not need transportation. Please mention during booking.
- Any medical expenses, evacuation etc.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Any cost of personal nature.
- Service Tax.
- Transport Ex Dehradun / Rishikesh.
- Price per person valid for a group size of three or more.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then