Dodital, the lake with a lot of mythological history is a very happening trekking destination at the present age. Dodital is the birth place of Lord Ganesha and is said to have witnessed the beheading of the deity by Lord Shiva. A trek with a perfect blend of rapidly changing landscape among any Himalayan trek. Dodital Trek starts with rural villages bustling with activities, it then goes onto a river side camp, very thick alpine woods, a mythical lake in the middle of it and finally a camp at 13,000 ft. on green grass lands atop a meadow looking 20,000 ft. snow mountains straight in the eye. The trek is of moderate difficulty. You are looking at trekking times of 4-5 hours a day on an average. The route is well marked all along and there is no major tricky terrain.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.John Muir
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Dodital
- Departure: Dehradun or Rishikesh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30.8981° N, 78.5247° E
- Nearest City (Airport): Jolly Grant (Dehradun)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dehradun
- Duration: 6 Days
- Dates: 11 – 16 Dec, On request
- Months: March – June(2nd week), September(3rd week) – December
- Level: Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Dodital is a freshwater lake in Uttarakhand, India, situated at a height of 3,024 metres (9,921 ft). According to one of the popular legends Lord Ganesha chose this place as his abode. Another name for this lake is ‘Dhundital’ meaning Ganesh ka tal or lake of Ganesha
You will trek about 21 km over 2-3 days via villages called Aghora, Bewda and Manjhi to reach Dodital (approx 10,000 ft) and finally trek another 5 km to reach Darba top where you camp for a night from where you will get an enchanting view of a number of prominent mountains in the Garhwal Himalayas.
This trek has become a popular trek in recent times owing to its beauty, ease of access and moderate difficulty. It can be easily undertaken by a first timer and gives you a great feel of everything a trekker can ask for- ranging from the forests to the meadows and finally the snows.
During the trek we reach a height of about 13,000 ft gained over a distance of about 27 km. Expect the temperatures to range from chilly to quite cold depending on the time of the year. Broadly the temperature will vary from 5 degrees to 0 degrees at night and expect snow if you are planning this trek between December and mid April- an added attraction for those who wish to get a true Himalayan experience.
The base for the trek is a place called Sangamchatti which is about 15 km from Uttarkashi, located at a height of about 6,000 ft.
All in all a five and a half to six day trek from Dehradun to Dehradun or from Rishikesh to Rishikesh.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Uttarkashi
- Uttarkashi is the most prominent town on the Rishikesh- Gangotri road on the banks of the Bhagirathi River. This is a 150 km drive from Dehradun through tiring and winding mountain terrain.
- Day 2 / Trek from Sangamchatti to Bewra (8km, 3 hr trek). Camp at Bewra.
- After a short drive to Sangamchatti, we do a short, fairly simple trek to Bewra. Our camp will be along the stream. The trek is fairly gradual most of the way and the route is well marked. You will cross a couple of villages along the way and hence encounter plenty of local villagers adding a charm to this bit of the trek.
- Day 3 / Trek from Bewra to Dodital (14 km, 4-5 hour trek)
- The trek for the day goes from Bewra to Dodital via Manjhi. Manhi will offer you the first glimpses of snow in the region. Located at about 8,000 ft. in the middle of dense forests. The trek itself will go through some very tall, dense forests full of Oak and Teak trees. Dodital is a further 5 km from Manjhi on a fairly simple trek route in the middle on pristine forests. The trek for the day is fairly simple to it can get steep at times and is a little long.
- Day 4 / Trek from Dodital to Darba top and back to Dodital (5 km steep, 3-3.5 hour trek one way)
- Darba top is a steep 3-4 hr trek from Dodital, but is easily the most rewarding day of the entire trek. It takes us to the highest point in that area and the top offers great close up views of the Upper Himalayan ranges. We came here for the night at the beautiful meadows on Darba top.
- Day 5 / Trek back from Dodital to Bewra
- Day 6 / Trek back from Bewra to Sangamchatti, Drive back to Dehradun.
- Camping & Trekking equipments including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, dining tent, toilet tent, hot water bottles, gas heater (when needed)
- Personally trained professional guides, cook, porter/ponies to carry equipment as well as personal luggage.
- Forest entry and permits wherever needed.
- Ground support from an experienced team of adventurers.
- Stay at a resort in Uttarkashi and for the 1st night. Since this is a remote area, the rooms in the resort cottages are basic but clean.
- High comfort/luxury trek facilities.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea etc. (Multi cuisine veg/non-veg prepared by well trained cooks)
- Any medical expenses, evacuation etc.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Any cost of personal nature.
- Transport Ex Dehradun / Rishikesh. Can be arranged at an additional cost as per actuals.
- Price per person valid for a group size of three or more.
- Accommodation in Dehradun.
- Items not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then