Meru Base Camp, Gaumukh, Tapovan and Mt. Baby Shivling Trek
Meru Parvat - referred to as the centre of the universe in our old scriptures has been one such obsessession for mountaineers for decades- doesn’t leave their thought and dreams and haunts them to return and Conrad Anker - one of the best known mountaineers in the world had been obsessed with it for years and attempted to climb it thrice until he finally did in 2012 along with Jimmy Chin and Renan Ozturk.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..Mark Twain
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour.
Explore, Dream, Discover
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Garhwal region, trek beyond the source of the Ganga
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 26°06’54.7″N 83°13’53.7″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Dehradun
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- Duration: 8 Days
- Dates: 20 – 27 Oct, On request
- Level: Moderate To Difficult
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
During this exploratory trek we will also give you a taste of ice climbing by having a session in ice craft training and will attempt the summit of Mt. Baby Shivling. This is a technical peak so we will attempt to go as far as possible to around 16000-17000 ft.
Since this is an exploratory trek with lack of documented information, the itinerary will be open ended and modified according to conditions and terrain on the ground.
Important points to note for this:
1) This trek can be done by first time trekkers but you need to be fit, physically as well as mentally and should be willing to exert yourself
2) This will be an expedition style trek that gives you a taste of what mountaineering feels like- use of mountaineering equipment, techniques. Members will be required to assist in work at the camp as everyone including staff and members are part of one team
3) All members will be given some role during the trek such as mapping, documentation etc.
4) Since the trek hasn’t been readily explored, we have to keep our flexible based on the terrain and situation on the ground so please be willing to adapt and ready to face the challenge on being in unknown terrain
5) Maximum height: In the range of 17,000-18,000 ft.
6) Prominent Himalayan peaks in the region: Mt Shivling (21, 467 ft) Mt Bhagirathi 1,2, 3 (22,493 ft, 21,365 ft, 21,175 ft respectively), Mt Kedar Dome (22,800 ft).
- Day 1 / Drive to Gangotri (3,100 m/10,200 ft): 250 km/10-12 hour drive
- We will leave early as it’s a long drive today. For a large part of this trek, we will be following the river Bhagirathi up to its source. For the first day, a large part of the drive will be along the banks of this sacred river. The road is twisty and windy but very beautiful. Spend the night in the holy town of Gangotri in a hotel along the banks of this river.
- Day 2 / Trek from Gangotri to Chirbasa (3,585 m/11,761 ft): 9 km/6 hours trek
- The trek is fairly gradual along a well-made path frequented by trekkers and pilgrims alike looking at reaching the source of the Ganges and beyond. Night camping in Chirbasa. The trek offers beautiful views of some of the most beautiful and prominent peaks in the Garhwal Himalayas including the Bhagirathi range, Sudarshan Parvat, Thelu to name a few.
- Day 3 / Trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa (3,795 m/12,450 ft): 5 km/3 hours trek. Acclimatisation walk to Gaumukh.
- Today is a short trek to Bhojbasa. It’s a gradual ascent along the trail parallel to Bhagirathi. After reaching Bhojbasa we will take an acclimatisation walk to Gaumukh the source of Bhagirathi river. Spend sometime there and then head back to Bhojbasa to camp for the night.
- Day 4 / Trek from Bhojbasa to Tapovan (4,463 m/14,640 ft): 10 km/7 hours trek
- Trek 5 km till Gaumukh (4,023 m/13,200 ft) along a well-made path. After Gaumukh we begin a steep and relatively tougher ascent along glaciers and moraines to reach Tapovan. Tapovan is the base camp of Meru and Shivling, which is considered to be one of the most beautiful peaks in the world and referred to by climbers as the Matterhorn of the east. Tapovan itself is a very beautiful green grassy area overlooking the prominent glaciers that eventually lead to the Bhagirathi river. On the other side we can see the majestic Shivling stand tall and behind it the shark’s fin- Meru Parvat.
- Day 5 / Explore Tapovan: Attempt summit of Mt. Baby Shivling (5,606 m/18,390 ft) on the right shoulder of Mt. Shivling (6,543 m/21,467 ft)
- Today we will explore the beautiful Tapovan. During the day we will also train you in snow craft and ice craft- techniques such as front point climbing in snow using snow boots and in ice using crampons and an ice axe. This will be your first day feeling like a pro climber using all the mountaineering equipment. We will climb a bit higher and for the adventurous lot we could attempt climbing Baby Shivling.
- Day 6 / Tapovan to Chirbasa
- Today we will leave early and say goodbye to the beautiful campsite at Tapovan and head back to Chirbasa where we will camp for the night.
- Day 7 / Chirbasa to Gangotri, drive back to Uttarkashi
- Today we will hike upto Gangotri, visit the temple and then drive to Uttarkashi.
- Day 8 / Uttarkashi to Dehradun
- We will leave early, stop on the way for breakfast and drive straight to Dehradun.
- All camping, trekking and mountaineering equipment including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, a dining tent for all all the members. This also includes all the technical mountaineering equipment including Snow Boots, climbing ropes, Gaiters, Crampons and ice-axe for ice climbing, pitons etc. if there is a summit attempt.
- Porters to carry the camping equipment and rations. Since this is an expedition style trek, members are expected to carry their luggage themselves including sleeping bags. As part of getting better acclimatized we also have load ferry days.
- Services of personally trained professional guides, cooks and helpers in numbers appropriate to the group size.
- Forest entry and camping charges.
- Food (Veg/Non-Veg) based on your preferences starting with Dinner on Day 1 to Lunch on Day 8.
- Camping on the trek nights.
- Ground support from one of the most experienced team of adventurers in the country.
- Personal expenses/items not mentioned above.
- Goods & Services Tax.
- Transport from and to Dehradun: Optional, we arrange transport Dehradun-Gangotri-Dehradun at an additional pass on cost to members
- Any item not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then