Netrani Island Scuba Diving Experience
Netrani is a small island in the Arabian Sea off the coast of Karnataka. Also known as the pigeon island, it is located approximately 10 nautical miles from the temple town of Murudeshwar. With clear blue waters, coral reef and rich marine life Netrani is an ideal place for scuba diving and snorkeling.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.Jacques Cousteau
- Destination: Karnataka
- Nearest City (Airport): Mangalore (Karnataka), Dabolim (Goa)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Mangalore (Karnataka)
- Co-ordinates: 14.0169° N, 74.3272° E
- Dates: On request
- Months: December – May
- Level: Easy to Moderate
- Instructor: Available
- Price: On request
Netrani is a coral island with a coral reef with rich marine life such as butterfly fish, trigger fish, parrot fish, eels and shrimps. Orcas and whale sharks have also been spotted around the area. The place was closed for a long time for diving and it has recently opened. Therefore, it has the distinction of being one of the most beautiful dive spots in the country waiting to be discovered. Thus, making it an ideal offbeat scuba diving destination without the usual crowds.
Diving/snorkelling is done from a boat, which is anchored close to the island, and usually visitors do not climb on to the island because of the sharp rocks and steep cliffs on the island. The Indian navy was using this island for target practice. One can still find craters and unexploded bomb shells in the island. Fish eagles are thriving in this island primarily feeding on sea snakes and fish. A species of mongoose was also spotted in the island confirming mammalian inhabitants apart from bats.
The essential Netrani Island experience includes diving around the island and discovering the beautiful marine life in its waters. And when not diving exploring the temple town of Murudeshwar, chilling out in the virgin beaches nearby on the way to Gokarna –Apsarkonda and Om beach among others.
It’s a great place to snorkel and discover scuba diving. You don’t have to be a pro to dive. Qualified and experienced divers would give you an orientation and introduction to diving. They would further accompany you under water where they would guide and help you dive to be close enough to kiss the fish ☺.
However, if you want to get one step further, you could get certified. PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) offers certification courses to train divers so that they could become more proficient and qualified while diving. We could help you there as well. Netrani has PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) approved site. We will be diving around Netrani and maybe go to some offbeat and less crowded sites as well like the Neil island and more.
We have designed the itinerary for people who are new to diving to diving. Therefore, you could just come to snorkel and take a “fun dive”, or take a PADI certification if you are ready for it, or just dive with us if you already have one.
- Day 1 / Murudeshwar
- There are multiple ways of coming to Murudeshwar, where the dive shops are. You could take the road - an overnight bus or drive in a car. You could take the train to Mangalore and take the road to Murudeshwar, which is 140 km away. You could fly in to Mangalore or Goa and drive from there. Once you are in Murudehswar, you will check into the hotel. Briefing will be given with regards to the next day’s diving program. Rest of the day you could spend at one of the many beautiful beaches around or explore the temples, the markets of this beautiful town. Overnight stay in Murudeshwar.
- Day 2 / Netrani
- Depending on when your dive is scheduled, you will be taken in a boat to Netrani Island, which is 18 km at sea with an approximate travel time of 1.5 hours. We will be at the sea for around 4-5 hours, have lunch on the boat and then come back to Murudeshwar late afternoon. Rest of the day is free to visit Gokarna, beaches or take rest. Overnight stay in Murudeshwar.
- Day 3 / Depart or extend your stay if you are taking a PADI certification course
- Depending on when you have to leave, you could spend time on the beach or in the town getting one lasting experience of this beautiful place, which will only motivate to come back soon ☺.
- Accommodation (twin sharing) at a star rated hotel in Murudeshwar. Single supplement will be at an additional cost.
- One dive (Two for PADI certified divers).
- Diving equipment and boat rides for diving and snorkeling.
- All permits.
- All taxes.
- Tickets (incl. camera charges) to monuments, buidings, museums etc.
- PADI/SSI Certification (would be additional based on the type of certification)
- Beverages (Non Alcoholic/Alcoholic).
- Personal expenses.
- Any Airfare.
- Any item that is not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then