Rajasthani Desert Odyssey in Jaisalmer and Jodhpur
Rajasthan’s jewel in the crown is its vast and untamed desert. The journey across the gateway towns of Jaisalmer and Jodhpur into the shimmering sands of Thar Desert takes you through desert forts and temple ruins, remote villages and colorful markets, countless camels and rare sights of the black buck running wild.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.Antoine de Saint-Expury
- Destination: Rajasthan
- Nearest City (Airport): Jaisalmer, Jodhpur
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Jaisalmer, Jodhpur
- Dates: 14 – 18 February, On request
- Months: October to March
- Level: Easy
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
The Thar Desert, also known as the Great Indian Desert is a large, arid region in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent. It covers about 3,20,000 sq. km area forming a natural border between India and Pakistan. 60% of the desert is in the Indian state of Rajasthan with Jaisalmer and Jodhpur as major cities of this region and that’s where our exploration and journey into this beautiful desert region would ensue.
Jodhpur, the largest city in the region lies in the scrub forest region of Thar, whereas Jaisalmer is in proper desert region. The desert region and esp. these cities have a rich vibrant culture, traditions, heritage, folk tales, dances and music owing mainly to the diverse population inhabiting the region.
These cities are a visual treat for any traveler. Jodhpur, also known as the blue city because of the indigo coloured houses with the daunting Mehrangarh fort keeping guard is overwhelming. While Jaisalmer with its forts, havelis and markets ensconced against the infinite desert with expanse of golden sands with silhouettes of camels is a spectacle in itself.
Through this journey we are going to experience the culture, folk music, dance, learn about history and also indulge in some adventure activities including camping in the desert.
In the month of February all this comes together along with the melodious and spiritual Sufi music at the Sufi World Music festival in Jodhpur. The following itinerary while can be followed at any time, but during the festival is specifically customized for the same.
- Day 1: 14 Feb, Wed / Jaisalmer
- Fly into Jaisalmer. Drive to the Camel pick up point. Enjoy a ride in the desert and dunes. Overnight stay at the Desert Camp, enjoying a Rajasthan folk music and dance performance, followed by a buffet dinner. Spend the night camping in the desert under the stars.
- Day 2: 15 Feb, Thu / Jaisalmer to Jodhpur (290 km / 5-6 hours)
- After breakfast enjoy the Guided city and Fort tour, including Jain temples, historical Havelis, local markets, and Gadisar lake. After lunch drive to Jodhpur. Stay overnight at a haveli converted hotel in Jodhpur. Find time to explore Jodhpur Mehrangarh Fort (venue for the festival), Ghanta Ghar, Clock tower in the market area. Jodhpur is also known for its cuisine. A number of dishes in India can find their origins here. Therefore, authentic Rajasthani thali is a must here.
- Day 3: 16 Feb, Fri / Jodhpur
- Spend the day at the Sufi music festival (http://worldsacredspiritfestival.org). Stay overnight at a haveli converted hotel in Jodhpur.
- Day 4: 17 Feb, Sat / Jodhpur
- Spend the day at the Sufi music festival (http://worldsacredspiritfestival.org). Stay overnight at a haveli converted hotel in Jodhpur. You can take the evening or late night flight out of town or the next day.
- Day 5: 18 Feb, Sun / Depart
- Drive to the airport for return flight back home.
- Transport (Innova AC or similar car) for the specified duration of the trip - Jaisalmer to Jodhpur. Jeep in Jaisalmer to and from sand dunes.
- Fuel costs, driver’s allowance and stay, parking & toll charges.
- Hotel accommodation in character hotels with breakfast. Most of the hotels chosen are family owned havelis converted into hotels. Most of them are still managed by the families.
- All taxes.
- Tickets (camera charges) to monuments, forts, temples, parks etc. Tickets to the Sufi Music Festival (could be bought directly at http://worldsacredspiritfestival.org)
- Meals, water and beverages unless specified.
- Airport transfers. Transport within the city. Auto rickshaws, cabs to be taken. Uber and Ola are availablein Jodhpur.
- Personal expenses.
- Any airfare.
- Guide Services.
- Any item that is not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then