The Roopkund trek is among most popular, beautiful and rewarding treks anywhere in the Himalayas. The biggest attraction of this trek is this deep sense of mystery and aura that surrounds it. Of course, the endless meadows and stunning views on route are no less of an attraction. This is a trek that has to be experienced by any and every outdoor enthusiast at least once.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.Lao Tzu
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Roopkund
- Departure: Dehradun or Rishikesh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30.2620° N, 79.7320° E
- Nearest City (Airport): Jolly Grant (Dehradun)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dehradun
- Dates: On request
- Months: April – June(2nd week), September(3rd week) – November
- Level: Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
The aura of mystery that surrounds this trek sees thousands of trekkers come and attempt this trek and experience its intense beauty.
at Roopkund, you will find thousands of human skulls and other remains. There are numerous theories about how they got there, the most popular of those theories talk about an ancient king and his troop that were crossing the area and got stuck there. Like we say, lots of theories, none that have been correctly proven. The conspiracy theorists among you should have alot of fun exploring these theories on the internet or in books.
The trek is located bang center of the Garhwal and Kumaon regions of the Uttarakhand Himalayas and hence is equally easily approachable from each of those regions. You can use Kathgodam as a base and equally conveniently use Rishikesh/Haridwar as a base.
The trek passes the base of prominent Himalayan Mountains including Mt Trisul (7120 m) and Mt Nandaghungti (6310 m). Another feature of the trek are the beautiful Bedni Bugyal grasslands with miles of endless meadows.
While it is a very beautiful and rewarding trek, please do remember that this is also a fairly difficult trek and we personally do not recommend this for a first time trekker. While first time trekkers are welcome to attempt this with us, the trekking distances are long, the drive to the base camp is long as well and the maximum altitude reached is above 5,000 meters or 16,500 ft which is well into high altitude and hence requires people to be well acclimatized to the trek. Chances of encountering snow are high irrespective of the time of year you attempt this.
If you are a first time trekker, do get in touch with us to get some recommendations from us regarding treks that will be most enjoyable for you, or in case you really want to attempt this particular trek, how you should best prepare for it.
While the itinerary we prepare makes sure that you get well acclamatized that gives you the best chance of being able to reach Roopkund, weather you are a first time trekker or a seasoned trekker/climber, do get yourself physically in good shape and be mentally prepared to get tired. If you are able to get past these hurdles, then as mentioned earlier, one of the most rewarding Himalayan treks awaits you.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Dehradun, Drive from Dehradun to Wan (280 km, 8-9 hour drive)
- Arrive in Dehradun early morning and after breakfast begin the drive. The day starts with a drive along the river Ganges. The route passes through most of the famous confluences of the Alaknanda River. These include Devprayag (confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi), Rudraprayag (confluence of Alaknanda and Mandakini) and Karanprayag (Confluence of Alaknanda and Pindar River) to reach Wan by evening. Dinner and overnight stay in tents/tourist rest house.
- Day 2 / Trek from Wan to Bedni Bugyal (3350 mts/11000 ft.) (10 Km/ 4-5 hrs.)
- The trek starts with a serene walk through Wan village. The school kids, farmers ploughing their fields, women with their cattle is common a sight while passing through the village. We travel from Wan to the ridge of Rankiyadhar from where the trail descends to the river Neelganga and a steep climb through Rhododendron and Oak forests takes you to Gairoli Patal. After climbing for a little longer you reach the Dolia Dhar ridge and walk along it to reach Bedni Bugyal, considered by many as one of the best camping sites in Garhwal. Stay the night there in tents.
- Day 3 / Trek from Bedni Bugyal to Bagubassa (4100 mts/13450 ft.) (8 km/ 4-5 hrs.)
- The trail from Bedni climbs gradually. The view of Mt Nanda Ghunti and Trishul are the highlights of this bit of the trek. The route is mostly gradual and a beautiful ridge walk. We trek via places including Patar Nachaniya to a Ganesha temple on the way and finally to the campsite of Bagubassa. Bagua means flowery park and Basa means place and one can find numerous varieties of flowers there, the stand out among which is the Brahm Kamal- found around 14,000 ft. only. We camp for the night at Bagubassa.
- Day 4 / Trek from Bagubassa to Roopkund (16,500 ft.) – trek back to Bagubassa (5-6 hrs.)
- The main day of the climb and probably the toughest since you will be climbing at high altitude and will experience a deficiency in oxygen. The trail is steep for the last few hours till you reach the lake. Spend an hour or so here and then return to Baggubasa.
- Day 5 / Trek back from Bagubassa to Bedni Bugyal (2-3 hr. trek)
- Day 6 / Trek back from Bedni Bugyal to Wan (10 km/2-3 hr. trek)
- Day 7 / Return to Haridwar/Dehradun (7-8 hour drive)
- Camping & Trekking equipments including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, dining tent, toilet tent, hot water bottles, gas heater (when needed)
- Personally trained professional guides, cook, porter/ponies to carry equipment as well as personal luggage.
- Forest entry and permits wherever needed.
- Ground support from an experienced team of adventurers.
- High comfort/luxury trek facilities.
- Stay/camping in a resort in Lohajung / Wan and for the 1st night and 6th night. Since this is a remote area, the rooms in the resort cottages are basic but clean.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea etc. (Multi cuisine veg/non-veg prepared by well trained cooks)
- Any medical expenses, evacuation etc.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Any cost of personal nature.
- Transport Ex Dehradun. (In case you do not need transportation. Please mention during booking.)
- Price per person valid for a group size of four or more.
- Service Tax.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then