Stok Kangri – Kang Yatse Climbing Expedition
Stok Kangri and Kang Yatse are two beautiful 6,000 m plus trekking peaks in Ladakh. Though the latter is less popular as it is a bit tougher. Climbing two 6000 m peaks back-to-back is quite a challenge and that’s something we passionate mountaineers will be doing through this expedition.
Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.Barry Finlay
- Destination: Ladakh
- Departure: Leh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 33.9861° N, 77.4425° E, 33°44′54″N 77°33′25″E
- Highest Altitude: Stok Kangri (6,137 m/20,165 ft) & Kang Yatse II (6,200 m/20,341 ft)
- Nearest City (Airport): Leh
- Dates: 9-24 Jul, On request
- Months: July – September
- Level: Strenuous
- Guide: Available
- On request
Stok Kangri (6,137 m/20,165 ft) is the highest mountain in the Stok Range of the Himalayas in the Ladakh region of northwest India. The peak is located in Hemis National Park, 12 km southwest of the trailhead in the village of Stok and 24 km southwest of the Ladakhi capital of Leh.
Stok Kangri is considered to be a suitable ‘starter expedition’ for fit trekkers. It is an excellent first Himalayan peak and no previous experience of high altitude or mountaineering is required. We will be approaching the peak through a short trek from Spituk crossing the 5,000 m Stok La pass, passing through Mankarmo and reaching the base camp.
Not too far from Stok Kangri is the majestic Kang Yatse 2 peak standing tall with its other namesake peaks at 6,200 m/20,341 ft. There are two approach routes to this peak. One is from Chilling and trekking through the Markha Valley, passing by the villages of Skiu, Markha and Hankar. Another approach starts from the village of Shang Sumdo and steeply climbs up the Markha Gorge passing by the campsite of Chyuskirmo, Lartsa and then climbing the Kongmaru La, a 5,130 meter high pass to reach Nimaling. We will be taking this route.
The expedition would appeal to passionate mountaineers and trekkers who have had prior high altitude trekking experience. The expedition itself is very strenuous but the thrill of back-to-back 6,000 m is exhilarating for a passionate mountaineer.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Leh.
- Day 2 / In & Around Leh. Acclimatisation & Rest.
- Day 3 / Leh to Spituk to Zingchen (3,400 m/11,161 ft) To Rumbak Camp (3,860 m/12,660 ft): Drive to Zingchen - 1.5 hour. 7 km/3-4 hours trek
- Day 4 / Rumbak Camp to Mankarmo (4,380 m/14,375 ft) via Stok La Pass (5,000 m/16,404 ft): 11 km/7-8 hours
- Day 5 / Mankarmo to Stok Kangri Base Camp (4,900 m/16,352 ft): 3.5 km/3 hours
- Day 6 / Rest at Stok Kangri Base Camp. Acclimatise.
- Day 7 / Summit Day – Base Camp – Stok Kangri peak (6,137 m/20,165 ft) – Base Camp: 9 km/8-12 hours
- Day 8 / Buffer Day.
- Day 9 / Trek to Stok Village. Drive to Shang Sumdo (3,660 m/12,007 ft) and overnight camp there.
- Day 10 / Trek to Lartsa (4,080 m/13,385 ft)
- Day 11 / Cross Kongmaru La (5,130 m/16,830 f) and trek to Kangyatse Base Camp.
- Day 12 / Rest Day and acclimatisation at Base Camp.
- Day 13 / Climb Kangyatse II (6,200 m/20,341 ft) and climb down to Nimaling (4,720 m/15,485 ft)
- Day 14 / Buffer day. In case of bad weather.
- Day 15 / Trek to Shang Sumdo. Drive to Leh.
- Day 16 / Depart from Leh.
- Camping & Trekking equipments including tents, carry mat, dining tent, toilet tent, hot water bottles, gas heater (when needed).
- Personally trained professional guides, cook, porter/ponies to carry equipment as well as personal luggage.
- Forest entry and permits wherever needed.
- Ground support from an experienced team of adventurers and guides.
- High comfort/luxury trek facilities.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea etc. (Multi cuisine veg/non-veg prepared by well trained cooks).
- Airport transfers and transport during the trek.
- Any medical expenses, evacuation, oxygen cylinder etc.
- Personal clothing - incl. jackets etc., Sleeping bags (could be arranged on request).
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Personal expenses.
- Any airfare.
- Additional taxes.
- Accommodation in Leh. Could be arranged on request.
- Any payment transaction cost or fee.
- Any item not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then