Exploring the Land of Chettiars
Around the 13th century, the Chettiars were displaced from their port city on the Bay of Bengal and they moved to a place deep in the south of Tamil Nadu now known as Chettinad. Being an extremely successful and resourceful mercantile community, they soon established themselves and steadily prospered. Over the years they amassed huge fortunes and established themselves in various fields like salt trading, coffee and rubber plantations, fertilizers to films, to big manufacturing companies. The Chettiars are also considered to be among the pioneers of organised banking in the country. Their palatial homes in Chettinad are of astonishing size, scale and examples of rich architecture which are not seen anywhere else.
Your past has given you the strength and wisdom you have today, so celebrate it. Don’t let it haunt you.Unknown
- Destination: Tamil Nadu
- Location: Chettinad
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 13.0900° N, 80.2700° E
- Nearest City (Airport): Trichy
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Trichy
- Duration: 3N/4D
- Level: Strenuous
- Guide: Available
- PRICE: On request
The place of stay is a heritage home which dates back to around 1910. It is a pleasant diversion to an elegant past with its traditional interiors, beautiful gardens and the classic banquet hall. The luxury dining with the rich Chettinad cuisine that’s on offer adds another dimension to your stay. Be prepared to be fussed over by the attentive staff as you get pampered with multi-course meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Visit some of the most magnificent Chettiar mansions and marvel their architecture and the eclectic mix of materials that makes them so grand.
Explore the history, heritage, architecture and culture of the Chettinad region.
Feast on authentic and delicious Chettinad cuisine prepared by the Chettiar Master Chefs.
- Day 1
- Pick up from the airport or railway station at Trichy and transfer to the hotel. The rest of the day is at leisure you can walk around the house and learn more about your hosts and their Chettinad connections.
- Day 2
- After Breakfast go on a guided tour- Chettinad Mansions, Ayanaar Terracotta Horses temple, Athangudi Tile-Making workshop and the weekly Village Market. Post lunch go on a guided tour of the traditional Cotton Hand Loom Weavers and Cotton Saree shops, Artisan Workshop, Koviloor Music School and Karaikudi Girls School.
- Day 3
- The entire day is at leisure. You can explore, on your own, some more local mansions, the local Antiques market or one of the Chettiar clan temples. The hotel staff will be happy to organize a vehicle for you. You can also request the Chef to arrange for a Chettinad cooking session. This can be paid for directly.
- Day 4
- Check out after breakfast. A car will be available to take you to Trichy airport or railway station for your flight or train back home.
- Accommodation in “Standard” room.
- Guided tours on Day 2 along with transportation.
- All applicable government taxes, toll fees, parking charges, etc.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast
- Transportation: Pick up and drop from Trichy airport or railway station in an AC Sedan vehicle.
- Any expense that is not mentioned in the Inclusions list above. These will have to be paid at actuals directly by the guests.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then