Kangra is microcosm of India herself With a mix of Hindu, Gaddi, Gujjar, Nepali and Tibetans all calling the Kangra region home, this area is as diverse as its inhabitants. The play of the valley is enacted amidst the backdrop of the mesmerising Daulhadhar range. Just as the mountains swiftly rise up from the plains, the diversity of wildlife each populating their own niche amongst the glacial fed lakes, grasslands, alpine forests are calling out to be seen. The richness of this region enticed the likes of Alexander, Ashoka and Mohammad of Ghazni, whilst centuries have passed the richness remains along with the enticement.
Unforgettable HimachalHimachal Pradesh
- Destination: Kangra
- Nearest City (Airport): Gaggal Airport, Dharamshala (7 km)
- Distance: New Delhi (451 km), Chandigarh (219 km)
- Best Time to Visit: Throughout the year except in the monsoons (June – September). The best time is April – June, October – November. It gets cold during the winter season, but its quite an experience visiting at that time.
- Activities: Bonfire, Hiking, Monastery and Temple visits, Exploring nature trails, Immersing the local culture and more. Please refer the additional experiences below.
- Duration: From at least three-night stay to any number of days depending on your requirement.
- Dates: On request
- Price: On request
Where to Stay
Charming, Hand Picked Accommodation. We have a selection of heritage properties, idyllic cottages secluded & surrounded by the forest or five star luxury, far from the city noise but within walking distance of Mcleodganj – whatever you choose the accommodation options throughout your stay are sure to leave a lasting impression.
Rustik Travel recommends trusted resorts, lodges, camps, hotels and home stays that follow all the protocols laid out by Ministry of Health and Ministry of Tourism to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable stay.
Kangra has limitless options to explore. We will curate an exclusive experience that suits your interests, pace of travel and budget. Speak to us about adding or substituting any of the following experiences to create the ultimate adventure for your holiday. From two days to ten it’s up to you!
Overnight Trek to Kareri Lake: A trek to this glacial fed lake makes a challenging day trip but for many the beauty of this destination is something to be savoured. Spend the night camping under the stars and take it all in.
Village Trek: Visit a local Gaddi family in a traditional house where our hosts will serve us their local Kangra cuisine. Trek begins from the cottage door, approximately three hours. With our bellies full after lunch we will return by taxi.
Backroad Village Driving Tour: With our picnic lunch packed we’ll take a detour off the main roads and hit the winding hills. We’ll show you traditional Kangra villages where the homes are still made of stone and mud with gorgeous slate roofs. You’ll feel like you’ve time travelled.
Birding at Pong Dam: A Ramsar listed site that attracts over 100000 birds of around 400 species. With our own expert birding guide we will find a quiet spot for our picnic lunch and do our best to identify as many as possible of the migratory guests from as far off as Siberia and Central Asia.
Star Gazing Marvel: With clear nights and no city light pollution. We’ll set up our telescope and gaze at mother natures finest light show. There is nowhere to go for this experience. From Bear Cottage all you need to do is step outside!
Barbecue Lunch: Take a break from the hectic pace of travelling. Enjoy a barbecue lunch or dinner right outside your cottage overlooking the forest and the Dauladhar mountains. With veg and non veg options, baked potatoes, grilled veg and salads, this makes for a healthy lunch and a relaxing way to spend the day.
Cycling: Cycle along the winding rural roads and explore Kangra village life. Distances and difficulty can be catered to individual preferences. Experience for yourself what life in the saddle is like and why it is that we choose this as our main mode of transport for our travels. Take it slow, enjoy the views and work up an appetite!
Paragliding: Famed as one of the top paragliding sites in Asia, Bir Billing is just the place to get your adrenaline pumping. Tandem flights are available of around 20 minutes in duration. You’ll take off in Billing at a height of 2445m and after descending down 1100 metres you’ll land in the maidan at Bir at 1325m.
Tatwani: A simple yet rejuvenating hot spring housed in an ancient temple. Makes for a refreshing side trip to soak away those weary aches after a long hike or car journey. The soothing sulphur water is believed to have curative properties. Combines well with Pong Dam and Masroor Temple.
Forest Trail Run: For the athletically inclined you can start or end your day with a guided trail run through the forest. One of the best times of the day for spotting the elusive yellow throated martens or resident porcupines, raise your heart Peace of Mind in Uncertain Times.
Our tours are strictly personal, meaning your travel companions will be limited to those you are travelling with. Furthermore our accommodation choices are exclusive and secluded meaning once again you can rest assured your safety and hygiene remain our priority. The locations we will visit throughout your tour are predominantly in the great outdoors where fresh air abounds and exposure to large crowds is easily avoided. Your trip with us to Himachal is certain to recharge your soul and invigorate your mind.
- I. Four Night Getaway
- A condensed tour showcasing the incredible history, culture and landscape that makes Kangra so unforgettable. You will stay at unique properties, hand picked by us for their charm and character.
- Day 1
- Pick up from Chandigarh and transfer to Palampur, visiting Kanga fort en-route. Kicking off your visit to Kangra here is sure to arouse your curiosity for this region, with archaeological evidence proving its habitation for the last two million years. You’ll spend the night at the luxurious Lodge at Wah, a boutique property built in the Kangra style in the middle of a heritage tea estate.
- Day 2 / Driving time - Three hours
- Alfresco breakfast taking in the beauty of the tea estate. Followed by a tea tasting and estate tour. We’ll stop off for lunch in a charming cafe in Palampur. After which we’ll make our way to Dharamkot via the scenic backroads winding o u r way through the foothills and charming Pahadi villages. Bear cottage will be your home for the next two nights.
- Day 3 / Driving time - Dependent on trekking options, up to one and a half hours or none at all.
- Today is all about nature as we take a hike to explore the natural beauty that abounds. We’ll pack a picnic lunch and explore the trails of the Daulhadar. In the evening we’ll enjoy a barbecue under the stars whilst sharing stories gathered around the fire. Night at Bear cottage.
- Day 4 / Driving time - Three hours
- Breakfast overlooking the Daulhadars one last time. We’ll see first-hand the landscape and culture change once again as we make our way back down to the plains stopping off at Masroor. An eighth century monolithic temple dedicated to the Vedic and Hindu gods, Shiva, Agni and Indra. We’ll continue on from here to Pong Dam for a picnic and some bird watching at this Ramsar listed site. Kangra is home to four hundred different species of birds and we’ll see how many of those we can spot. The day will end in Pragpur, India’s first heritage village. We’ll wander the cobbled lanes admiring the charming architecture of a bygone era. You will be staying at the Judges court, a three hundred year old heritage property, regarded as the jewel of Pragpur.
- Day 5 / Driving time - Four and a half hours
- Breakfast at the Judges court before departing to Chandigarh for afternoon flight.
- II. Five Night Hideout
- Experience the highlights of what this stunning region has to offer. This itinerary showcases our favourite locations and stays in unique mountain abodes. You are certain to leave after this journey once again reminded of the secrets that India holds.
- Day 1
- Transfer to Pragpur heritage village. Afternoon tour exploring the charming cobbled laneways and eclectic mix of heritage architecture which according to legend was inspired the founding merchant families travel throughout Kangra and abroad. Examples of Kangra, Rajput, Portuguese and even Italian architecture have been preserved and add a unique charm to this quaint village. You will spend the night at the lovingly restored 300 year old judges Court hotel.
- Day 2
- Drive to Pong Dam for a picnic lunch by the water. We’ll bring our binoculars and admire the 100000 migratory birds visiting the lake. After lunch we will stop off at Masroor, an eight century monolithic stone temple, reminiscent of Ajanta. After which we continue on our journey to Dharamkot, your home for the next three nights nestled in the middle of the forest, Bear cottage.
- Day 3
- Today is all about the great outdoors as we hike to explore the natural beauty that abounds. We’ll pack a picnic lunch and explore the trails of the Daulhadar. In the evening we’ll enjoy a barbecue under the stars whilst sharing stories around the fire. Trekking options include: ❖ Four hour temple & river trek ❖ Six hour trek to an alpine ridge line ❖ Seven hour trek to glacial fed lake.
- Day 4
- The day will begin with breakfast overlooking the Daulhadars, followed by a morning walk around the Dalai Lama’s temple. We’ll also make a visit the museum to learn about Tibetan culture. Lunch will be at a cafe in town or there is an option to visit a local Gaddi village for home cooked Kangra cuisine. Night at Bear cottage.
- Day 5
- Day trip to Andretta, an alternative artist and potters community where you can try your hand at the potters wheel with a private lesson. We’ll also visit the pottery museum and gift shop. Lunch will be at the nearby heritage property The Mirage. After lunch we’ll take a tour of their in-house gallery. Evening stay at the Lodge at Wah in Palampur. A boutique Kangra style property nestled in the oldest tea estate in the region. Includes a private tea tasting and a tour of the estate.
- Day 6
- Breakfast at the Lodge before departing for Chandigarh, but it’s not over yet. We’ll visit the oldest surviving fort in India, Kangra fort. A visit to the museum will highlight one final time how incredible this region really is.
COVID-19 – SOP for Partner Hotels And Resorts
All Rustik Travel partnered hotels and resorts have stepped up precautionary measures in preventing the spread of the Novel Corona virus ( COVID-19).
The safety of guests and employees are of paramount importance. The partners have committed that they will do everything that they can to ensure that the guests have a safe and pleasant stay.
Please go through the various guidelines issued by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India and the State Govt..
Dos and Don’ts for the Guest
1. Do not step out of the room unnecessarily. Wear a mask whenever outside the room.
2. Guests are recommended to carry their own sanitizer and wet wipes for personal use.
3. Clothes should not be washed inside the room.
4. In case a balcony is shared with another room, please be on the side of your room and do not interact with the other room’s guests.
5. No visitors should be allowed in the rooms.
6. Doors should be kept closed and any contact with the doorknobs should be avoided by staff.
7. Kitchen and washing area entry must be prohibited for guests.
8. Always keep a safe distance of at least 2 m (6 feet) while you are at the property.
9. Wash your hands frequently with the soaps/sanitizers provided.
10. Put all bio-degradable disposable plates/cups/bottles after use in the garbage bag.
The following have been implemented in all our partner properties.
The staff have been briefed on the guidelines provided by the local health authorities. In terms of measures taken, Front desks are equipped with infrared thermometers to conduct temperature checks on all guests, when required. Staff and guests who are unwell with any symptoms of fever, flu or respiratory problems will be immediately provided access to medical assistance, and if so required, their fitness would be assessed by our consulting doctor.
Additional measures include staff briefings to reinforce the rules and practices of good personal hygiene, provision of masks and gloves for staff and guests, as well as hand sanitizers that are placed at guest contact areas such as hotel lobbies. Special attention has also been placed to sanitize public contact points such as reception counters, activities area and conference / meeting rooms. The cleaning of guest rooms has also been stepped up.
Daily meetings are conducted to review the situation; the property is in constant communication with staff and guests to keep them updated and to advise them on appropriate measures to take.
We remain vigilant and will work closely with the authorities for the health and safety of all stakeholders.
Thank you for choosing Rustik Travel and we look forward to welcoming you where ever you stay with us.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then