Har Ki Doon Trek
Har Ki Doon valley is a cradle shaped hanging valley in the Garhwal Himalayas. It is surrounded by snow-covered peaks and alpine vegetation. It is among the most prominent Himalayan treks. The entry point of Jumdar glacier from where one of the most important tributaries to the Yamuna river originates. The Har ki doon trek is among the first treks in the Indian Himalayas to be explored. Its vast and uniquely shaped valleys have inspired generations to explore the region and seek further adventure.
“Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.”Cindy Ross
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Har Ki Doon
- Departure: Dehradun
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 31°9’3″N 78°25’54″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Jolly Grant (Dehradun)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dehradun
- Dates: On request
- Months: April – June(2nd week), September(3rd week) – November
- Level: Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Har Ki Doon valley is located in the Govind Pashu National Park and the trek starts from a place called Taluka which is a 7-8 hour drive from Dehradun via Mussourie, Purola, Mori and Sankri. You will follow River Yamuna till Nao gaon from where you follow Tons River, one of Yamuna’s major tributaries to Jumdar Glacier which is also its origin.
The Har ki doon or “Valley of Gods”, has the Jumdar glacier to its east, Kinnaur range to its north. The Swargarohini range and the Bandarpunch range to its south are the stand out ranges. Each valley, at its lower end, is beautifully flat and grassy and walled in by ancient lateral moraines. All around are great erratic boulders, and banks bright with flower like the Blue Poppy, Orchids, Lilies, Primulas, Potentillas, Anemonies plants”.
You will reach the maximum height of about 12,000 ft during the trek. The trek starts at a height of about 7,000 ft and you gain about 5,000 ft over 26 km. The climb therefore is very gradual. However, be prepared to trek 6-7 hours a day for the first two days of the trek since the distances to be covered are fairly long. From Dehradun to Dehradun the trek can be done in 6 days.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Sankri (198 km, 7-8 hour drive from Dehradun)
- Drive from Dehradun to Sankri through towns including Mussourie, Purola, Mori. You will be following the Yamuna up for about 150 km and eventually turn towards the river Tons which is one of the main tributaries to the Yamuna. The drive is a windy mountain drive gets tiring but is very serene, particularly after Mori you come across very beautiful meadows and dense forests after that.
- Day 2 / By road from Sankri to Taluka (10 km, 1 hour drive), Trek from Taluka to Campsite (3 km, 1-2 hour trek)
- By road to Taluka can take 2-4 hours as you need to change vehicles on the way due to landslides, and sometimes we need to walk it. Depending on how much time it will take, we will plan the itinerary for the rest of the day. If you reach Taluka by 11 am or so, we can proceed all the way to Seema. If not, then we camp 3 km ahead of Taluka and trek to Seema the next day. If you reach Seema on this day, that will give you an extra day to go towards Jumdar glacier from Har ki doon. Assuming for now that we camp on the way.
- Day 3 / Trek from Campsite to Seema (11 km, 5-6 hour trek)
- The trek goes through some- very beautiful landscape going through forests and gradually revealing the snow peaks of Jumdar glacier. Cross Gangar village on the way to camp to the right of the stream at Osla village. The trek, though with a few steep patches on the way, is gradual most of the way and the terrain is well marked. You should reach your camp after 4-5 hours of trekking.
- Day 4 / Trek from Seema to Har ki doon (10 km, 5-6 hour trek)
- From Seema, the destination-Harkidoon is visibly straight up in the distance. You can see the mountain ranges of Jumdar glacier the base of which you have to reach. Again, the trek has a few steep patches on the way but is mostly gradual. A waterfall marks the entry to Harkidoon valley and you will trek through very beautiful valleys after this all the way to the camp. You will get very close views of some of the most prominent peaks in the Garhwal Himalayas including Mt Kalanag, Mt Bandarpunch and Mt Swargarohini to name a few.
- Day 5 / Trek from Har ki doon towards Jumdar Glacier and back to Harkidoon, after an early lunch wind up camp and trek back to Seema
- Day 6 / Trek back to Taluka, Drive back to Sankri
- Day 7 / Depart from Sankri to Dehradun
- Camping & Trekking equipments including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, dining tent, toilet tent, hot water bottles, gas heater (when needed)
- Personally trained professional guides, cook, porter/ponies to carry equipment as well as personal luggage.
- Forest entry and permits wherever needed.
- Ground support from an experienced team of adventurers.
- High comfort trek facilities.
- Food & Beverages: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Tea etc. (Multi cuisine veg/non-veg prepared by well trained cooks)
- Any medical expenses, evacuation etc.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Any cost of personal nature.
- Transport Ex Dehradun. In case you do not need transportation. Please mention during booking.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then