Diving in Sri Lanka
Arthur C Clarke, the famous science fiction writer for his love of the ocean and diving made Sri Lanka his home and stayed here till his death. With its pristine beaches and beautiful ocean with bustling marine life scuba diving and snorkeling, along with kite surfing and other water sports are popular out here. Aqua sports particularly scuba diving is what we will focus on for the passionate divers out there.
The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul.Wyland
- Destination: Sri Lanka
- Nearest City (Airport): Colombo
- Dates: 24-30 Jun, On request
- Months: Throughout the year
- Level: Easy to Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Sri Lanka has many PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) approved site. The Sri Lankan waters are clear and rich in marine life. No wonder this has been a popular scuba diving and snorkeling place for years now.
The PADI diving sites are widespread across the island right up in the North East at Trincomalee to way down South at Batticaloa. And down in the South East at Galle all the way up in the East coast near Colombo, Negombo and Kalpitiya.
Dive Summary (from PADI):
Visibility – Visibility ranges from around 10-25 metres/30-80 feet between high and low seasons.
Water Temperature – Water temperatures are usually around 27° C/80° F for most of the year.
Weather – Seasonal averages: 22°C/72°F in winter and 33°C/93°F in summer. West coast diving is best from around October to May, and the east coast is best from around May through to October.
Featured Creatures – Blue and sperm whales, whale sharks. Green, loggerhead, hawksbill and leatherback turtles. Parrot fish, Napoleon wrasse and barracuda. Macro invertebrates, including nudibranchs.
∗ Trincomalee is situated about 250 Kms away from Colombo and you can reach Trincomalee in about 5-6 hours.
∗ Trincomalee harbors’ one of the most beautiful and pristine beaches in Sri Lanka. Nilaveli, is about 20 minutes away from the main city of Trincomalee and it is renowned for its white sand beaches and shallow bays.
∗ The North East Coast of Sri Lanka offers some outstanding diving on coral reefs, walls and drop-offs, sharks and if you’re really lucky a large whale might pass by within a few meters.
∗ Over a 100 species of Coral and 300 reef fish species have been recorded in and around the Pigeon Island National Park. Juvenile & adult Blacktip reef Sharks, Hawksbill Turtles, Green Turtles and Olive Ridleys can all be seen in the surrounding waters
- Day 1: Colombo/Trincomalee
- Meet at Chennai International Air Port to catch flight AI 273 departure: 0600 hrs./Arrival into Colombo 0720 hrs. Pick up from the Airport and head straight to Trincomalee which is on the other end of the country 250 km, estimated travel time 5 hrs30min . Check in to Angel Inn Beach resort freshen up and meet for Kit sizing up at the Dive center at 1600 hrs. The rest of the day to explore and let it sink in you are in Sri Lanka on a dive trip.
- Day 2: Trincomalee / 2 Tank Dive ( Morning Boat dive )
- Day 3: Trincomalee / 2 Tank Dive ( Morning Boat dive )
- Day 4: Trincomalee / 2 Tank Dive ( Morning Boat dive )
- Day 5: Trincomalee / 2 Tank Dive ( Morning Boat dive )
- Day 6: Trincomalee / 2 Tank Dive ( Morning Boat dive )
- Day 7: Colombo Airport / Departure.
- 10 Tank dive over 5 days.
- 5 nights stay at Angel Inn Beach Resort on twin-sharing basis.
- Transfere from Colombo Airport – Trincomalee – Colombo Airport and the duration of the entire trip the Coach will be with us at our disposal.
- All diving Equipment (except Computers and Cameras).
- Dive guide.
- Meals, water and beverages unless specifically mentioned.
- Visa and related charges. Official website for Sri Lankan visa http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/ please read the details care fully.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then