Amazing Arunachal with Tawang Road Trip
If the place is as inspiring as Arunachal Pradesh, then you will definitely become a storyteller. This beautiful state in the North-Eastern part of India is a full of stories and experiences. The place not as remote but still unexplored is the perfect destination to find yourself and write your own story through the natural beauty from every nook and corner of this state. Arunachal Pradesh is the largest North Eastern state with 82% of evergreen cover. It receives an average rainfall of above 3000 mm per year. The climate ranges from sub-tropical in the south to Alpine in the North. There are 26 major tribes and over 100 sub-tribes in the state. Over 500 varieties of orchids are found here. Then there is the beautiful Tawang monastery, for which we have specifically designed a scenic road trip that gives an experience of Arunachal Pradesh.
Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.Ibn Batuta
- Destination: Arunachal Pradesh
- Nearest City (Airport): Guwahati
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Guwahati
- Dates: On request
- Months: October to May
- Duration: 9 Days (Tawang Road Trip), On request
- Level: Easy to Difficult
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
The richness in the natural beauty and diversity, with the Himalayan terrain makes Arunachal Pradesh a dream destination for trekking and hiking. The ever flowing rivers is a delight for the aqua sports like rafting and angling. The abundant green forest cover is home to a large number of fauna, which include the big four – tiger, leopard, clouded leopard and snow leopard, and a big number of species of birds.
The animistic tribal culture merged with the Buddhist influence from Tibet is a perfect blend of culture, heritage and spirituality.
The best part is that it is still not “touristy” and quite a bit unexplored and that’s where Rustik Travel has gone deeper into the region to bring out these amazing experiences for you to discover and explore.
Following are the various activity options. However, we also have an itinerary to engage in all this and while visiting the beautiful Tawang monastery as well.
The major part of Arunachal Pradesh is covered with lush evergreen forests that coupled with the hilly Himalayan terrain has thrown open numerous distinct trekking routes in the mountains. Bomdila-Tawang area is amazing for trekkers that one could couple with while visiting the beautiful monastery at Tawang. The region around Tawang Chu is interesting and challenging as well.
The other interesting trek routes are: Bomdila-Seppa, Along-Mechuka, Daporijo-Taksing, Pasighat-Tuting, Pasighat-Mariang, Daporijo-Along and Bomdila-Daimara-via-Ramlingam and Chakku.
The abundant water through the perennially flowing rivers in the region is just the right opportunity for angling and fishing esp. for trout and the elusive Golden Mahseer. However, there are numerous opportunities across the five rivers in the state esp. areas around Siang River (Brahmaputra River) and Subansiri River. These are pristine rivers with high levels of oxygen, which ensures that the catch is always good.
Please Note: The anglers should release their catch. Golden Mahseer esp. is an endangered species. This mysterious fish, queen of the Himalayan Rivers with its marvelous body is also considered holy in Hinduism.
RIVER RAFTING & KAYAKING
River rafting Arunachal Pradesh is a unique challenging experience that every rafter enjoys. Siang River is the Mecca of rafting in the North-East. As per Tibetan belief, the Siang River is considered as ‘horse mouth river ‘and its sands are actually emeralds that flows towards east. It is believed that one can become as strong as a horse by drinking its water. There are multiple other rafting routes as well – Kameng (Seppa- Bhalukpung), Subansiri (Taliha- North of Daporijo) and Dibang (Anini- Assam Border).
WILDLIFE: SAFARIS & BIRDING
Arunachal Pradesh is in a unique geographical zone is naturally blessed with diverse topography and changing altitudes. The altitude dependent climatic conditions have created a wildlife population that is diverse as well as precious. The wildlife here is so varied that one can find animals that are not seen in the other parts of the country.
Animals like Red Panda, Himalayan Black Bear and Goral etc. For bird enthusiasts, the list includes exotic and dazzling species like White Winged Wood Duck, Bengal Florican, Temmincks Tragopan, Mishmi Wren and Sclater’s Monal etc.
The state is a delight for bird watchers. Over 500 species are found here with a notable number being highly endangered and rare. Species like white-winged duck, scatter, monal bangal florian etc are not found anywhere except here.
North-East India is a delight for motorcyclists. With its well laid out highways connecting far-flung places and riding through the pristine greenery and beauty it is quite an experience. We organize bikes for enthusiastic riders as soon as you land in Guwahati with the necessary support and places to stay during the journey to Arunachal Pradesh.
It is indeed quite an experience to discover Arunachal Pradesh on a bike in commune with the nature and with the cool wind blowing against you.
CULTURE & HERITAGE
Arunachal Pradesh is a treasure trove of culture & heritage. The state has 26 major tribes and more than 100 sub-tribes each of which have unique customs and traditions. The cultural lifestyle is dominated by the various colourful festivals esp. during the harvest season.
One of the hallmarks of the state is the Buddhist influence thanks to the proximity to Tibet. The magnificent Tawang monastery is such an example. A must visit when in Arunachal, the monastery was built in the 17th century and in inhabited by Buddhist monks belonging to the Mahayana School of Buddhism.
Get away from urban life to a remote area where one can enjoy the pleasures of birdsong, the sound of rushing water, the crunch of leaves beneath your feet, the wind whistling through the trees. Enjoy all this with all the adventure activities mentioned above and have the experience of your life.
All age groups are welcome and will stay in tents or thatch lodges of their choice.
Arunachal Pradesh as most of the North East seems to be remote and inhospitable, but that is not the case at all. With one of the most friendly communities, clean villages and homestays, Arunachal is at the forefront of community and village tourism.
We can also arrange volunteering work in the villages nearby and various projects. Those interested can help villagers in the farms or be of some assistance at local schools or similar community projects. All this to add to the authentic Arunachal flavour.
Tawang Road Trip
- Day 1 / Guwahati (244 m/800 ft)
- Reach Guwahati. Check in to the hotel. Take rest and enjoy the sunset/dinner boat cruise on the Brahmaputra.
- Day 2 / Guwahati to Bhalukpong (213 m/700 ft): 241 km, 8-9 hrs
- After breakfast drive to Bhalukpong, a small town located along the southern reaches of the Himalayas in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh in India. See the Orchid at Tippi, Walk and explore a bit of the beautiful Kameng river on the way. Stay overnight in Bhalukpong.
- Day 3 / Bhalukpong to Dirang (1,600 m/4,910 ft): 140 kms, 6 hrs
- The usual stop to Tawang is Bomdila, which is a bit touristy. Dirang is offbeat and closer to Tawang. Start from Bhalukpong after breakfast. Enroute to Dirang from Bhalukpong, stop for clicks of the majestic mountain views. Break your journey and stop over for tea at Jamiri. Reach Bomdila. After lunch, visit the monastery (Upper Gonpa). Evening at your leisure. If time and daylight permits, head straight to Sangti Valley.
- Day 4 / Dirang to Tawang (2,669 m/8,757 ft): 130 kms, 6 hrs
- Head for Sangti valley (15 kms from the hotel) early morning. Omit this if you have already done Sangti valley the previous day. See the Black necked crane, migratory birds that come here during winter and then head back to Siberia. Back to the hotel. After breakfast, head for Tawang. See and experience the hot springs, Dirang. Stop over at Sela Pass near the lake or have a tea break (lone tea shop there). Visit Jaswant Garh. Arrive at Jang falls. After lunch reach hotel in Tawang.
- Day 5 / Tawang (in and around)
- Visit the famous and oldest monastery in Asia after Lhasa. Visit the Unni Gompa (Women Monastery) and the War Memorial. Evening at your leisure.
- Day 6 / Tawang (in and around)
- After breakfast visit P.T.Sho (popularly known as Madhuri lake after the Hindi movie Koyla with Madhuri Dixit & Shahrukh Khan was shot here). It is 45 kms away and will take roughly 2 hrs. Visit the nearby monastery. Drive to Bum La pass (4,633 m/15,200 ft). This is the pass that Dalai Lama took while escaping from Tibet after the Chinese invasion. Drive back to the hotel.
- Day 7 / Tawang to Bomdila (2,217 m/7,274 ft): 181 km, 7-8 hrs
- From Bomdila there is an amazing view of the Himalayan landscape with snow capped mountains. The monastery in Bomdila is a repository of culture and is among the primary attractions of the area. It is the land of Monpa, the Sherdukpen, the Aka, the Miji, and the Bogun tribes. Overnight stay in Bomdila.
- Day 8 / Bomdila to Guwahati (338 km, 8-9 hrs)
- Today, we drive back to Guwahati leaving behind the beautiful mountains of Arunachal Pradesh and into the green plains of Assam. Overnight stay in Guwahati.
- Day 9 / Guwahati
- Depart from Guwahati to your respective destination.
- Accommodation (twin sharing) in at least 3 star hotels or whichever is best in town.
- Transport (Innova/Sedan) from Guwahati to Guwahati Includes driver’s allowance, stay, fuel costs and toll charges.
- Airport transfers.
- All inner line permits.
- Air Fares and train tickets.
- Meals unless specified.
- Tickets to monuments, temples etc.
- Brahmaputra river cruise in Guwahati.
- Any medical expenses, evacuation etc.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- Any cost of personal nature.
- Service Tax.
- Items not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then