Auden’s Col Expedition
Auden’s Col is a high-altitude pass in the Garhwal Himalayas that connects tall peaks of Gangotri III (6,580 m) and Jogin I (6,465 m) and also connecting with the deadly Khatling glacier. Named after John Bicknell Auden who was the first to discover and cross it in 1939. One of the popular treks in India is extremely strenuous recommended for experienced trekkers only.
Climbing is as close as we can come to flying.Margaret Young
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Garhwal region, trek beyond the source of the Ganga
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30.8735° N, 78.8920° E E
- Highest Altitude: 5,490 m/18,010 ft
- Nearest City (Airport): Dehradun
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- Duration: 11 Days
- Months: May-June, October
- Dates: On request
- Level: Difficult
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Trek to Auden’s Col is perfect for any experienced trekker wanting to graduate to high-altitude climbing and learning the snow & ice craft in treacherous snowy and glacier terrains, and unpredictable weather conditions.
The trek is indeed a high-altitude adventure not meant for the faint hearted and novice trekkers. The Col is one of the most dangerous passes in the Garhwal Himalayas as the pass and the Khatling Glacier are infested with crevasses.
Therefore, it is advisable to go with experienced guides and crew, with the right gear and equipment, and a well-planned route and itinerary. At Rustik Travel, we plan our expeditions accordingly.
- Day 1 / Drive to Uttarkashi (1,158 m/3,800 ft): 145 km/5-6 hour drive
- We will leave early, as it’s a long drive today. Overnight stay in Uttarkashi or somewhere before Gangotri.
- Day 2 / From Uttarkashi drive to Gangotri (3,100 m/10,200 ft): 100 km/3-4 hour drive
- After the drive yesterday, we will rest today. We will visit the Temple (one of the four Dhams or the holiest places for Hindus) and explore the town. We will go for an acclimatization walk towards Gaumukh or Bhoj Kharak. Overnight stay in Gangotri.
- Day 3 / Gangotri to Nalla Camp (3,754 m/12,316 ft): 8 km, 4-5 hour trek
- After breakfast, we will walk with Bhagirathi river on our left for half an hour or so and then we turn south towards Rudugaira Nalla. The walk is a gradual uphill through the forests of birch and maple. The campsite is above the treeline and just before reaching it we will get a peek of Gangotri III and Jogin I. Overnight at Nalla camp.
- Day 4 / Nalla Camp to Rudugaira Base Camp (4,511 m/14,800 ft): 4 km, 4-5 hour trek
- Today we will cover shorter distance but it’s a steep walk. The trail goes through upper grazing grounds. We will cross a few streams and climb a steep spur to reach Rudugaira Base Camp. We will get some excellent views of Gangotri and Jogin ranges from the campsite. Overnight at Rudugaira Base Camp.
- Day 5 / Acclimatization day at Rudugaira Base Camp (4,511 m/14,800 ft)
- Today will be a rest and acclimatization day having climbed quite a bit in the last few days. We will take an acclimatization walk, check our equipment and gear. Overnight at Rudugaira Base Camp.
- Day 6 / Rudugaira Base camp to Auden’s Col Base Camp (4,877 m/16,000 ft) via Gangotri I Base Camp: 8 km, 6-7 hour trek
- We will walk towards the valley with the Gangotri range to the North and Jogin range to the South. Auden’s Col is at the head of the valley between the two peaks. We will camp at the base of the Col. Overnight at Auden’s Col Base Camp.
- Day 7 / Trek to Auden’s Col (5,490 m/18,010 ft) and back to Auden’s Col Base Camp. 10-12 hour trek
- We will leave early morning around 4 am and expect to reach Auden’s Col around 10 am. The climb begins with a stretch of moraine after which we will reach the glacier. We will reach a flat surface on the glacier, we will rope up and start climbing a 30-50 deg slope. It should take 3-4 hours to reach the Col for a fit and acclimatized trekker. We will spend some time at the pass and then descend to Auden’s Col Base Camp.
- Day 8 / Buffer day
- Day 9 / Auden’s Col Base Camp to Nalla Camp. 20 km, 7-8 hour trek
- Day 10 / Trek to Gangotri, Drive to Uttarkashi. 1-2 hour trek, 4 hour drive
- Day 11 / Drive to Dehradun. 144 km, 5-6 hour drive
- All camping, trekking and mountaineering equipment including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, a dining tent for all all the members. This also includes all the technical mountaineering equipment including Snow Boots, climbing ropes, Gaiters, Crampons and ice-axe for ice climbing, pitons etc. if there is a summit attempt.
- Porters to carry the camping equipment and rations. Since this is an expedition style trek, members are expected to carry their luggage themselves including sleeping bags. As part of getting better acclimatized we also have load ferry days.
- Services of personally trained professional guides, cooks and helpers in numbers appropriate to the group size.
- Forest entry and camping charges.
- Food (Veg/Non-Veg) based on your preferences on trek days.
- Camping on the trek nights.
- Ground support from a team of experienced professionals.
- Personal clothing and expenses/items not mentioned above.
- Transport from and to Dehradun: Optional, we arrange transport Dehradun-Gangotri-Dehradun at an additional pass on cost to members.
- Accommodation in Dehradun.
- Goods & Services Tax.
- Any item not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then