Chadar Frozen Zanskar River Trek
The Chadar trek is a walk on the frozen Zanskar river in Ladakh. During the winters esp. January-Fenruary, the extreme cold conditions cause the river to freeze thus giving another opportunity for the trekkers to adventurously walk on water, literally.
Don’t be a Gama in the land of Lama.A signboard on Leh - Ladakh highway
- Destination: Ladakh
- Departure: Leh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 34°00′11″N 77°12′42″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Leh
- Dates: On request
- Best Months: January-February
- Level: Difficult
- Highest Altitude: 3,570 m/11,710 ft
- Temperature Range: 15 to 20 degrees (during the day) and -25 to -35 degrees (during the night)
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Ladakh, the land of high passes is blessed with natural beauty. Due to extreme weather conditions in winters, these passes are closed for most of the time of the year. The tourist season June to September is fairly short when the ice melts to open these passes and weather is pleasant. However, the winter has its own opportunities for adventure – walking on the frozen Zanskar river. This is the Chadar trek.
Characterised by extreme cold, walking on icy river, using sleds to carry luggage and supplies, this is one unique winter trek any avid trekker should not miss.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Leh (3,500 m/11,483 ft). Pick up from the airport. Check in to the hotel.
- Walk around Leh to acclimatize to the altitude and weather. Overnight stay in guest house.
- Day 2 / Drive to Chilling and trek to Tilad Do camp (3,570 m/11,710 ft). Drive distance: 65 km. Trek time: 1-2 hours
- After the picturesque drive to Chilling, you would have to cross the frozen Zanskar river. It will take time to get used to walking on ice. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 3 / Trek to Gyalpo Campsite via Shingra Koma (3,215 m/10,550 ft). 10 km/6 hours
- Today is a long walking session on ice. After passing Shingra Koma, you will reach the Gyalpo Campsite. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 4 / Trek to Tibb Cave (3,225 m/10,580 ft). 15 km/6-7 hours
- The walk today is through the deep ravines of Zanskar. At Tibb there is a big cave, where all the staff would be staying. A perfect place to curl up against the warm stove and have endless cups of hot soup and tea. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 5 / Trek to Nyerak Camp (3,390 m/11,122 ft). 12.5 km/6 hours
- Today’s walk is through the deep gorges and you would reach a point where there are juniper trees covered with prayer flags. A few steps away you will find one of the awesome sights of a waterfall almost frozen in time. Overnight stay in camps on Nyerak village.
- Day 6 / Trek to Tibb Cave (3,225 m/10,580 ft). 12.5 km/6 hours
- Today onwards you will be returning the same ruote you came in. While you may be thinking that it will be a boring trek back since you are retracing your steps? Think twice as the frozen river changes its shape constantly and it’s a new day every day. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 7 / Trek to Gyalpo (3,215 m/10,550 ft). 15 km/6-7 hours
- Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 8 / Drive back to Leh from Tilad Do
- Overnight stay in guest house.
- Day 9 / Take the flight out from Leh.
- Night stay at a guest house in Leh with breakfast.
- During the trek - porters, guides , cook, tent, sleeping bag, mattress, permit fees, helper, transportation, camping fees, equipment.
- All meals during the trek.
- Airport transfers.
- Goods and Service Tax.
- Beverages, soft drinks etc.
- Road blockage expenses.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience. Join today.
Price: On request
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then