Everest Base Camp Trek
If you ask any trekker or traveler for his/her bucket list, Everest Base Camp Trek would definitely be in the top five. Why shouldn’t it be? This is the holy grail of trekking. This is as close a one could get to the highest peak in the world, interact with the summiteers, climbers and other trekkers from different corners of the globe, breathe the adventure along with the cold nippy air, feast on the local delicacies and the staple dal-bhat (rice and lentils), discover the Sherpa culture and learn to appreciate their way of life and the hardships they go through. At the end of it, of course, achieve the bragging rights of having trekked so high and come close to Mt. Everest, only a miniscule percentage of the world population has achieved. All in all, Everest Base Camp Trek is an amazing experience that is bound to leave an indelible impression on your mind.
Because its there.George Mallory, when asked why he wanted to climb Mt. Everest
- Destination: Nepal
- Location: Everest Base Camp
- Departure: Kathmandu
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 28°0’26”N 86°51′34″E
- Highest Altitude: Kalapathar (5,547 m/18,200 ft), Everest Base Camp (5,380 m/17,600 ft)
- Nearest City (Airport): Lukla with flights to Kathmandu
- Dates: On request
- Months: April-May, September-October
- Level: Strenuous
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Retrace the route from the movie – Everest (and/or from the book – Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer) and walk into the footsteps of many a legendary mountaineers towards the holy grail of high-altitude mountaineering.
The journey starts from the bustling, crowded and chaotic yet charming Kathmandu that is an eclectic mix of religion, culture and adventure. The flight to Lukla is an heart to mouth experience but the flying so close to the mighty Himalayan peaks make one forget that.
The first stop after the eventful landing at Lukla is Phakding. Immediately the cold mountains welcome you with their warmth through the hearth at the Tea house and meeting fellow trekkers and if lucky summit climbers. The initial trail from Phakding to Namche Bazaar is marked with ups and downs with criss-crossing bridges over the Dudh Kosi river. You could see the magnificent snow capped peaks of Thamserku and Kusum Kangru. It’s a pleasant walk till Jorsalle. However, the difficulty of the trek becomes evident post lunch while climbing the steep trail to Namche Bazaar.
Namche Bazaar is a large village, marked with shops catering to trekkers and climbers. It is a social and commercial hub of the Sherpas. High speed cybercafes, bakeries, pool parlours and pubs are a commonplace here. Namche is very well developed, with the per capita income higher than that of Kathmandu. It has its own uninterrupted power supply from a hydroelectric plant nearby. The village is very clean as it has its own efficient garbage disposal system with incinerators etc.
For acclimatization, you would have to stay an extra day here and walk up to the Sagarmatha National Park headquarters and museum. You could see the magnificent peaks – Ama Dablam and Lhotse (4th highest mountain peak in the world). You could have a glimpse of Mt. Everest from here.
The next pit stop is the small hamlet of Tengboche is known for its monastery, the largest in the Khumbu region. Extremely beautiful, nestled amongst the peaks. Do attend the prayers if you can. Tengboche to Dingboche is an easy walk downhill through the forest. The soft ground is a pleasure to walk on after days of rocky climbing and walking. Dingboche is a small hamlet with a handful of lodges and huts. It is characterized with agricultural land (potatoes and other vegetables) and a helipad of HRA- Himalayan Rescue Association. The helicopters buzz regularly flying in AMS patients to lower heights. An extra day will be spent here for acclimatization.
The next stop is Lobuche and on the way you will stop at Dughla for lunch. Dughla is a village marked with only 3-4 lodges. After the lunch you will set out for a steep 1 hour climb. The top of this mountain has memorials of various Everest climbers like Scott Fischer (from the ’96 Everest disaster), Babu Chiri Sherpa (who holds 2 world records – fastest ascent and spending 21 hours without oxygen on the summit.).
Lobuche is at a height of 16,000 ft. If you already, haven’t felt effects of mountain sickness, headaches, you are bound to feel that here. But, you shouldn’t worry much. Just stick to the mantra of high altitude climbing – climb slow, climb high, sleep low and imbibe lots of water/fluid.
The next day will be a long one as you would have to reach Gorakshep and then Everest Base Camp. Gorakshep was the first base camp for the first successful expedition of Edmund Hillary/Tenzing Norgay. Gorakshep was the first base camp set up during Hillary-Norgay expedition. The place had now transformed into a small hamlet of lodges (with sat phones and internet access) catering to trekkers and summiteers (many of them) from the base camp.
There is a narrow trail uphill for a long way towards the base camp. You would have to give way to yaks and porters, who will pass you by on regular intervals. On the right you will see the famous Khumbu glacier. It would be covered with rock and sand, but one couldn’t miss the blue ice peering from beneath at various points. It is massive.
The next day or early morning is the climb to Kalapathar. Kalapathar is a mountain just below the south face of Pumori (7,161m/23,494 ft). Mt. Everest can be viewed clearly on top of Kalapathar.
After the Kalapthar ascent, its all downhill (in parts uphill ☺) retracing back the same path all the way to Lukla for the flight back to Kathmandu.
- Day 1 / ARRIVAL IN KATHMANDU. DAY FOR LOCAL SHOPPING, RELAXING, SIGHTSEEING.
- After coming to Nepal, representatives of Rustik Travel will welcome you at Tribhuvan International Airport with Rustik Travel placard (sign of Rustik Travel). In case of late night arrival, private transportation to the hotel will be arranged by the representative. Clients will be notified of tour briefings and group meeting times by a representative. In the meeting we discuss the travel plans and services as well as introduce the trek guide. A legally binding travel form and a non-liability disclaimer form will be filled out. If anyone has a tour payment due, it should be paid at the meeting. Stay overnight in Kathmandu.
- Day 2 / FREE DAY IN KATHMANDU. OVERNIGHT STAY IN KATHMANDU.
- Day 3 / EARLY MORNING DRIVE TO MANTHALI AIRPORT, RAMECHHAP FLY TO LUKLA (2,846 M/9,350 FT): 20 MIN FLIGHT, TREK TO PHAKDING (2,650 M/9,248 FT): 10 KM/5-6 HRS
- We depart (2 AM) Kathmandu early on the four-hour journey to Ramechhap. We will take a short morning flight from Ramechhap to Lukla airport. Your guide will introduce you to your porter at Lukla Airport. Start trekking to Phakding after a short tea break at Lukla Airport. In today’s trekking journey we will climb 250 meters and descended 450 meters. The walking distance is about 8.2 km and it takes about 3 hours to reach the destination. If you like to stay in the less crowded place then you continue the trek to Toktok (2,710 m, 8.6 km). The largest neighborhood, is a beautiful little village near Phakding, where most people stop to spend their first night in the mountains. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination according to your appetite. After an hour of free time, you should meet your guide in the hotel lobby and discuss with him the activities for this evening and the schedule for tomorrow. Stay overnight in Phakding. SPECIAL NOTES: Please read this note. As there is no direct flight from Kathmandu to Lukla for any reason, you have to go to Manthali airport in Ramechhap from Kathmandu at 2-3 AM in the morning. Usually, it takes about 4-5 hours to reach Ramechhap from Kathmandu. It takes 5-6 hours to return from Manthali at the end of the trek depending on the road traffic jam. Don't forget to use the window seat on the left side of the flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and the window seat on the right side of the flight from Lukla to Kathmandu. Also, depending on the plane, be sure to avoid the middle of the plane, where the wings can block your view. Note that you can't book a seat first - it is just first come first serve. Weight restriction 15 kg/33 lbs. (10 kg check in / 5 kg carry on) should be brought on board. If you exceed the restrictions, you will have to pay a hefty fee per kilogram.
- Day 4 / TREK FROM PHAKDING TO NAMCHE BAZAAR (3,500 M/11,480 FT): 8 KM/7-8 HRS
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and start our trekking trip to Namche Bazaar today. In today’s trekking journey we will climb 1150 meters and descended 350 meters. The walking distance is about 10.9 km and it takes about 6 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination according to your appetite. Stay overnight in Namche Bazaar.
- Day 5 / SPEND THE DAY FOR ACCLIMATIZATION, HIKE UP TO THE FAMOUS EVEREST HOTEL , AND EXPLORING NAMCHE BAZAAR.
- Today is usually a day to relax to adapt your body to higher altitudes. According to the advice of a health expert, you should practice walking before going to a higher place the next day. Therefore, according to your hiking schedule, today we will take you to EVEREST VIEW HOTEL. During today's tour of Everest View Hotel, we will climb 540 meters and descend 540 meters. The walking distance of the round trip is about 5.4 km and it takes about 3-4 hours to reach the destination and back. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Namche Bazaar.
- Day 6 / TREK FROM NAMCHE BAZAAR TO TENGBOCHE (3,867 M/12,687 FT): 12 KM/6 HRS
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and start our trekking trip to Tengboche today. In today’s trekking journey we will climb 850 meters and descended 450 meters. The walking distance is about 9.6 km and it takes about 5 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination according to your appetite. Stay overnight in Tengboche.
- Day 7 / TREK FROM TENGBOCHE TO DINGBOCHE (4,410 M/14,470 FT): 12 KM/6 HRS
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and start our trekking trip to Dingboche today. In today’s trekking journey we will climb 550 meters and descended 150 meters. The walking distance is about 10.5 km and it takes about 6 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination according to your appetite. Stay overnight in Dingboche.
- Day 8 / ACCLIMATIZATION IN DINGBOCHE (4,410 M/14,470 FT)
- During the day, you can climb 5,050 meters (16,568 ft.) to the top of Nangkartshang Peak. Nangkartshang Peak can be reached on foot in 2-3 hours. Nagarjuna located in Dingboche territory, a hill near the Chhukung valley. A 3–4-hour trek takes you to mount Nagarjuna (Locally it is called Nagarjuna Peak). There, you can enjoy panoramic views of Lobuche East (6,119 m), Lobuche West (6,145 m), Kangtega (6,685 m), Taboche Peak (6,367 m), Thamserku (6,608 m), and Ama Dablam (6,856 m). Nuptse is a huge mountain in the background visible from the cliff just 10 minutes south of Chhukung. During today's tour of Nangkartshang Peak, we climb 673 meters and descend 673 meters. The walking distance of the round trip is about 5.1 km and it takes about 5-6 hours to reach the destination and back. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Dingboche.
- Day 9 / FROM DINGBOCHE TREK TO LOBUCHE (4,930 M/16,163 FT): 12 KM/6 HRS
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and start our trekking trip to Lobuche today. In today’s trekking journey we will climb 700 meters and descended 100 meters. The walking distance is about 7.9 km and it takes about 5 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Lobuche.
- Day 10 / TREK FROM LOBUCHE TO GORAKSHEP (5,180 M/17,000 FT), HIKE UP TO TO EVEREST BASE CAMP (5,380 M/17,600 FT): 12KM/8-10 HRS
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and start our trekking trip to Gorakshep and after Lunch visit Everest Base Camp today. Very beautiful and unique, today you will cross many steep cliffs, boulder areas and glacial moraines. As the trek to Gorakshep is up and down, it takes about 3 hours to reach the destination. After reaching the Everest Base Camp (5,364 m), you will enjoy the base camp of the highest mountain in the world and if you feel safe there, you will wander in the glacier for a while. To return to Gorakshep, you have to walk for 2 hours. After an eight-hour trek, today's trek will end. Today's journey is challenging for most people. At the base camp, we see the tents of the Everest climbers. Mountains like Nuptse, Khumbutse, and Pumori can be seen from the base camp but the summit of Mount Everest is not visible from here. In today's trekking journey we will climb 550 meters and descended 350 meters. The walking distance is about 11.7 km (including base camp round trip) and it takes about 8 hours to reach the destination and back to Gorakshep. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Gorakshep.
- Day 11 / HIKE UP TO KALAPATHAR (5,547 M/18,200 FT) AND RETREAT TREK TO PHERICHE: 15 km/7-8 hrs
- Wake up early the next morning and start trekking up to Kala Patthar (5,550 m) to see the best sunrise views. The Kala Patthar is actually the highest point of this trek. The top of the hill is a huge rock with a great view of Mt Everest and its surroundings. From this vantage point, Everest is best visible even than the base camp (5,364 m). In Kala Patthar mostly windy, so please dress appropriately. Please climb up Kala Patthar with the trekking poles which will be helpful you on the way down walk to the Gorakshep. With the exception of a rugged section at the Kala Patthar summit, the track is mostly straight uphill trail to the top. On arrival at Gorakshep, have breakfast and start trekking to Lobuche. It takes about 2 hours to reach Lobuche. We will stop for a tea break. Then, continue the journey to Thukla for an hour and a half and stop to rest and have lunch. You will feel and imagine that going down is much easier than going up. After you ate meal, cross the river by a small bridge and go slightly up and down the canyon and then down to the river and Pheriche. Dingboche is only half an hour apart from Pheriche. After 3 hours walking, we will be reach at Pheriche. It is located in a valley surrounded by Rocky Mountains and mountains. However, the village is very windy, making it ideal for a summer retreat. Among the mountains visible from here are Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Kangtega, Taboche, Cholatse and Lobuche. In today's trekking journey we will climb 420 meters and descended 1650 meters. The walking distance is about 19 km (including Kala Patthar round trip 3.8 km) and it takes about 8-9 hours to reach the destination along with round trip hiking of Kala Patthar. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Pheriche.
- Day 12 / TREK FROM PHERICHE TO NAMCHE BAZAAR: 14 km/7-8 hrs
- Today is a wonderful day of this trek. The trek starts at 7 am from Pheriche to Kyangjuma via Tengboche. This is important because today, we feel like we are flying at a lower elevation. We will wake up early and have our delicious breakfast at lodge in Pheriche. The reason we start early is because we want to reach the destination to Kyangjuma on time. Remember that the later in the day, the more difficult the walk is on the last uphill section before Tengboche and after Phungi Tenga. At first, the trail is easy, following the river from Pheriche on a flat plain between valleys. It will take more than 30 minutes to walk along the trail before the climb begins. Then, the trail descends steeply for another hour, before it reaches Syomare. After Syomare, again, you have to descend directly to Pangboche. It is one of the famous places for short breaks. Walking continuously for hours can make you tired thus drinking coffee or tea at Pangboche will be suggested. After tea break at Pangboche, the trail here just goes down and down to the bridge over the river until the forest becomes inevitable. Walk carefully and sideways. Avoid slippery areas and place your feet on a hard surface. Now, it takes about an hour to reach Deboche which is all downhill walk. Then, the trail continues for another hour to Tengboche. Stop here and eat lunch. True is that believe in yourself, you are worth for your effort. After spending an hour for lunch, you have to push down until you reach Phungi Tenga. One has to climb again through pine and rhododendron forest. It's an easy stroll for about 30 minutes with some ups and downs and then the trail starts to climb into the forest. It will take about 1.30 hours of climbing to reach Kyangjuma. A lovely little village with a few lodges and a bakery. It is less crowded and more peaceful. In today's trekking journey we will climb 540 meters and descended 1,200 meters. The walking distance is about 16.8 km and it takes about 7-8 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Kyangjuma.
- Day 13 / TREK FROM NAMCHE BAZAAR TO LUKLA: 15 KM/6-7 HRS
- Today is the last day of the Everest Base Camp trek. After the trekking, you may feel the day became more complicated because you are almost exhausted and don't want to move anymore. The first half of the trek from Chumoa is relatively straightforward with some short ascents and descents. Actually, you start climbing from the ghat (2,550 m) and continue continuously until you reach Lukla. The climb at the end of the journey is a bit awkward. However, you have to make it. After your arrival at Lodge in Lukla, take a warm shower and freshen up. You may roam around in Lukla in the evening. There are good restaurants with live music. Enjoy your time with good coffee as well. Return to the hotel for your final dinner. Your guide will be busy in the afternoon arranging the flight back to Kathmandu tomorrow morning. It is mandatory to reconfirm your return flight to Kathmandu at Lukla office of the airline. In today's trekking journey we will climb 340 meters and descended 350 meters. The walking distance is about 12 km and it takes about 6 hours to reach the destination. During the trek, lunch will be arranged in the middle of the destination or at the destination depending on your appetite. Stay overnight in Lukla.
- Day 14 / LUKLA TO KATHMANDU FLIGHT VIA RAMECHHAP
- First, we have breakfast at the lodge, then we pack our bags and will go to Lukla airport to fly back to Kathmandu. Today your leg has taken a break as you have to walk only 10 minutes to Lukla Airport and return to Kathmandu, where your journey starts and ends! We always book first round flights whenever possible, so when the weather permits, usually, you arrive in Kathmandu at 8 am and return to the hotel at 9 am. But it all depends on the weather. If there is no direct flight for any reason, arrangements will be made to fly to Kathmandu (via Ramechhap) according to the alternative arrangement. I request you to read the special note in the DAY 02. Upon arrival in Kathmandu, transfer to your hotel and check in at the hotel. Spend the day at leisure or do some last-minute shopping or explore any places you may have missed on your first two days in Kathmandu. Stay overnight in Kathmandu.
- Day 15 / BUFFER DAY.
- A buffer day is needed in case there is a reschedule of flight between Kathmandu and Lukla or one is stuck due to bad weather.
- Day 16 / DEPARTURE FROM NEPAL.
- Breakfast at the hotel and free day. Transfer to the airport to return home three hours before your actual flight departure time. You can extend the trip as per your wish and available time. We hope that your visit to Nepal and the activities you carried out during the trek will remind you to visit Nepal again in the coming days. We wish you a safe return home. We hope to see you in Kathmandu again in the coming days!
- Arrival and departure private transfer according to Itinerary.
- Kathmandu – Lukla – Kathmandu airfare with airport tax for tourist or trekkers.
- 4 nights accommodation (Twin Share) in Kathmandu and Mulkot in 3 star hotel with breakfast as per Itinerary.
- 11 Nights / 12 Days Full board (breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) teahouse trek. One item from menu per meal.
- 11 Nights accommodation (Twin Share, Common Bathroom) during trek.
- One cup of hot drinks (Tea or Coffee ) at breakfast, lunch and dinner time during trek.
- Permits: National Park and Khumjung Entry Fee (pp copy & photo).
- An experienced and registered trekking guide from Kathmandu.
- If group size is 8 or 10 then we will provide one assistant guide from Lukla.
- Porters for carrying one rucksack of Max 10 Kgs per head during the trek (2 guest one porter).
- Free baggage 15 kg (10 luggage and 5 hand bag) and Excess Baggage fee NPR 125 per kilo.
- Single supplement fee $150 or INR 12,000 per single room (only in Kathmandu).
- Bar bills, Extra drinks (mineral water, beer, coke & Chocalate etc.).
- Personal nature of expenses, personal trekking gears (Jacket & Sleeping bag).
- Any sightseeing tour or city transfer and odd trekker’s fees like 3 or 5 etc.
- Travel Insurance for rescue operation (Per hour USD$ 2500 for helicopter Charter flight).
- Extra night accommodation if earlier return from trekking by any reason.
- Extra cost occur by any reason which is not in our control such as strike, landslide and accident etc.
- Tips for trekking staffs (Aprox INR 500 per day per trekker) and other things which is not included above.
- GST @5%
- Any other expenses not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then