Island Peak Climb with Everest Base Camp Trek
Island Peak is 6,189 meters high and one of the most popular and busy trekking peaks in Nepal, also known as Imja Tse, lies in the Khumbu Himalayan range. Island Peak takes its name from its appearance due to its striking resemblance to an island on a sea of ice. It is located in the heart of the Khumbu region at 6,189 m. If you are seeking the thrill of adventure and wish to widen your experience towards the 6000 m plus peak climbing, this is the mountain for you.
Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.Sir Martin Convay
- Destination: Nepal
- Location: Everest Region
- Departure: Kathmandu
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 27.9242° N, 86.9373° E
- Highest Altitude: 6,189 m/20,300 ft
- Nearest City (Airport): Lukla with flights to Kathmandu
- Dates: On request
- Duration: 20 Days
- Months: April-May, September-October
- Level: Strenuous
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
The summit of Island peak stands adjacent to one of the world’s largest ice walls and offers stunning views of Ama Dablam and the pyramid of Makalu. Your effort to summit the peak will be rewarded with one of the best panoramic views in the world as you would feel Lhotse, Nuptse, Baruntse, Ama Dablam and Makalu almost touching the tip of your nose. Descending with a sagacity of accomplishment, our route takes us into many cultural sites, such as Pangboche, a traditional Sherpa village; Tengboche, famous for its ornately decorated Tibetan monasteries and Khumjung with Hillary school inside the clouds and mysterious Yeti scalp.
Enjoy the climb to this beautiful yet challenging 6,000 m peak.
- Day 1 / Kathmandu
- Arrive in Kathmandu (1,360 m/4,462 ft). Pick up from the airport.
- Day 2 / Fly to Lukla. Trek to Phakding (2,650 m/9,248 ft): 10 km/4-5 hrs
- Take a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla (2,840 m/9,318 ft). Our trek starts considerably with a walk through Chaurikharka village and descent towards Dudh Kosi Ghat (2,530m). We'll follow the Dudh Kosi River until we reach the popular resting stop of Phakding. Stay overnight at Guest House.
- Day 3 / Trek from Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3,500 m/11,480 ft): 8 km/7-8 hrs
- Today, we will cross the Dudh Koshi River and pine forest. After permit check in Monjo we follow the Dudh Koshi River to reach Jorsalle Village. Finally, we cross the Hilary Suspension Bridge to reach Namche Bazaar. Stay overnight at guest house.
- Day 4 / Acclimatization day at Namche Bazaar.
- Today is a rest and acclimatization day. We explore the natural villages and Sherpa culture around Namche Bazaar. Stay overnight at guest house.
- Day 5 / Namche Bazaar to Tengboche (3,867 m/12,687 ft): 12 km/6 hrs
- We'll be trekking today in the course of Tengboche, home of the largest Gompa monastery in the Khumbu region. Exquisite views of Tawache, Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, Ama Dablam, and Thamserku can be enjoyed on the route. Stay overnight at guest house.
- Day 6 / Trek from Tengboche to Dingboche (4,530 m/14,800 ft): 12 km/6 hrs
- Today we make our way towards Dingboche. The Sherpa people who make their home here are largely yak herders and farmers, and our route will allow us to peek in on a delightful slice of rural life. Stay overnight at guest house.
- Day 7 / Acclimatisation day at Dingboche
- Rest and acclimatization day. Overnight at a guesthouse.
- Day 8 / Trek to Lobuche (4,930 m/16,163 ft): 8 km/5-6 hrs
- Today we follow the rough trail to reach Lobuche, a small village with amazing views of Mt. Lobuche, Mt. Pumori and the Nuptse. Stay overnight at lodge in Lobuche.
- Day 9 / Lobuche to Gorakshep (5,180 m/17,000 ft) then hike up to Everest Base Camp (5,365 m/17,600 ft): 10 km/7-8 hrs
- Our day starts with an easy trek from Lobuche to Gorakshep. Then the straight trail to Everest Base Camp is harder, involving rocky dunes and moraine, formed accumulation of unconsolidated glacial debris. On the way we'll pass the Khumbu Glacier and Icefall, located on the slopes of Everest. Stay overnight at Gorakshep.
- Day 10 / Hike up to Kalapathar (5,547 m/18,200 ft) early in the morning and trek down to Periche (4,200 m/13,780 ft): 14 KM/7-8 HRS
- From the EBC it's a rocky, challenging climb in cold, thin air to Kalapathar. From Kalapathar you can enjoy the panoramic views of the Himalayas. Further ahead the stone huts of Periche, a historic summer village awaits. Stay overnight at Periche.
- Day 11 / Trek To Chukung (4,730 m/15,518 ft): 6 km/6 hrs
- We head towards Chukung. On the way you will be trained to use the implements like the ice axes and climbing boot, and demonstrate moving up and down on ropes. Stay overnight at Chukung.
- Day 12 / Trek to Island Peak Base Camp (5,240 m/17,190 ft) - 6 hrs
- Overnight stay in tented camp.
- Day 13 & 14 / Summit Day (6,187 m/20,300 ft)
- Today is our big day as we summit the Island Peak. Using the climbing equipments, skills and expertise we pass through glaciers and tough trail to reach the top of Island peak. After spending some time on the top and enjoying the panoramic views of mountains around us move downwards to Chukung village. Stay overnight at Chukung Village.
- Day 15 / Chukung to Tengboche: 13 km/5-6 hrs
- We retrace the original steps of our ascent as we make our way back down the mountain again to Tengboche. The fascinating culture of the Sherpas is on display once again. Stay overnight at Tengboche.
- Day 16 / Tengboche to Namche Bazaar: 6 km/2-3 hrs
- Today we walk down the trail through the mountains around to reach Namche Bazaar. As today's trek is not so long we rest the remainder of the day at Namche and stay overnight.
- Day 17 / Namche Bazaar to Lukla: 15 km/6-7 hrs
- We trek toward the Hillary Suspension Bridge and then pass through several local villages. Today our mountain trek ends and we enjoy the successful summit of the peak in Lukla with our team. Stay overnight at Lukla.
- Day 18 / Fly to Kathmandu from Lukla
- Today, after early morning breakfast, we fly to Kathmandu on a scenic, mountain flight. The Rest of the day you can hang around in Kathmandu and go for shopping. Stay overnight at hotel.
- Day 19 / Buffer day in case of bad weather.
- Day 20 / Departure from Kathmandu
- Airport pick-up and drops - international and domestic.
- 3 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast or similar.
- Flight From Kathmandu to Lukla to Kathmandu only 15 kg luggage alllowed. (10 kg rucksack & 5 kg day pack).
- Lodge accommodation & full board meals throughout the trek.
- 16 breakfasts, 13 lunches and 13 dinners included chosen from lodge menu.
- 13 Nights twin share accommodation during the trek.
- TIMS Fee- Trekkers' Information Management System (Please bring 2 passport size photos for permits)
- Climbing permit fee.
- First Aid kits for the staffs and the groups.
- Services co-ordination of emergency and rescue operations.
- Government taxes & office service charge.
- Meals not mentioned in the 'Meal Inclusions' in the itinerary.
- Travel insurance.
- Airfare including flight to Lukla and back.
- Nepal entry visa charge.
- All beverages and others personal expenses.
- Snacks and other personal expenses.
- Battery charge, hot showers & international phone calls.
- Any item not mentioned in Inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then