Purushwadi Village – with the Fireflies
Experience the rural & rustic life at Purushwadi village, which is situated 220 km from both Mumbai & Pune en route to Nasik, in Akole block, Ahmednagar district. This tribal village is inhabited by the ‘Hindu Mahadeo Koli’ tribe. Renowned for as rice cultivators and as skilled animal herdsmen; these villagers are warm, simple & full of wonder. This tribal village is inhabited by the ‘Hindu Mahadeo Koli’ tribe. Renowned for as rice cultivators and as skilled animal herdsmen; these villagers are warm, simple & full of wonder. As the monsoons approach, the village is filled with wonder, as millions of fireflies light up the place.
The soul of India lives in its villages.Mahatma Gandhi
- Destination: Maharashtra
- Location: Purushwadi Village
- Departure: Mumbai, Pune
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 19°27’57.0″N 73°49’51.1″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Mumbai, Pune
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Mumbai, Pune
- Duration: 1N/2D
- Dates: On request
- Months: Throughout the year
- Level: Easy
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
The soul of India does live in its villages and the rural countryside. What could be more exploratory and introspective than to live there, interact and eat with the locals, and perform the daily chores of a typical villager. The experience will not only help us understand the rural village life but also help the villagers understand us, that is, the people from the cities.
At 1000 m above sea level in the Western Ghats, between river Kurkundi and river Mula, the local folklore connects the village to the legend of goddess Zakobhai, to whom one of Purushwadi’s temples is dedicated. It is believed that the goddess lifted up five Hanuman statues from different villages in the region and threw them in the nearby Mula river, a feat she repeats every year when the statues are put upright.
The local communities are predominantly tribal and concentrate on cultivation and animal husbandry for their livelihoods. Among the different tribes of the region are bails, kolis mahadeos, thakars, koli dhors, takare kolis, paradhis, kokanas, warlis, kathodis and katkaris.
With the never-ending migration to the cities from villages, such kind of experience is aimed to help create sustainable livelihoods locally to help people stay back and work on improving the economy of the village and region, while experiencing the beauty of the place and the people.
- Day 1
- 12:30 Reach Purushwadi / Welcome, Freshen up | 13.00 Guide introduction, Tent allotment | 13:30 Proceed for Lunch in a villager’s home | 14.00 Rest for a while | 15.30 Rural Activities | 16.30 Tea / Biscuits | 17.00 Walk down the River | 19:00 Return / Freshen up / Tea | 20:00 Dinner | 21:00 Night Walk (Optional) | 22:30 Lights Off.
- Day 2
- 06.00 Wakeup Call | 06:30 Trek to the Dam | 08:00 Breakfast | 09:00 Village Livelihood activities | 11:00 Leisure Time | 13:00 Lunch | 14:00 Depart for Mumbai.
- Vegetarian meals in Villager’s homes [Lunch to next day’s lunch].
- Services of Local Village Guides.
- Village activities as per itinerary.
- Filtered drinking water.
- All taxes.
- Transportation cost to reach the village.
- Any Personal Expenses.
- Anything not mentioned in the itinerary.
Book or Personalize
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Price: On request
Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of duration, date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then