Kuari Pass – Pangarchulla Peak Trek
Pangarchulla Peak in the Garhwal Himalayas is one of the lesser-known trekking peaks just perfect for a first time summit attempt. One also has to go across the Kuari Pass, which in itself is one of the most beautiful and popular treks in the Indian Himalayas.
Climbing is as close as we can come to flying.Margaret Young
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Garhwal region
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30.4241° N, 79.5914° E
- Nearest City (Airport): Dehradun
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- Duration: 7 Days
- Dates: 26 Apr – 2 May ’20, March to May, On request
- Level: Difficult
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Kuari Pass – Pangarchulla Peak Trek is one of best Winter treks in the Indian Himalayas. It is best done when there’s firm and compact snow along the route, which is easier to walk on. When the snow melts in the summer the route exposes boulders and moraine terrain, which is difficult to walk on. The itinerary itself is short when compared to other summit climbing expeditions. In 6-8 days you are back in the plains. And when you are on top you have the most breathtaking views of Nanda Devi, Chaukhambha, Dunagiri, Hathi Parbat, Ghori Parbat and many other beautiful peaks.
While this is a trekking peak, it is a very challenging one. This trek is not recommended for first time trekkers, but for those who are very fit and have prior multi-day trekking experience in similar conditions, walking on snow and camping in sub-zero temperatures.
- Day 1 / Drive from Dehradun to Joshimath (1,875 m/6,152 ft): 280 km/7-8 hour drive.
- Drive to Joshimath, passing through the holy towns of Devprayag and Rudraprayag, with Ganga and Alaknanda rivers flowing alongside. Overnight stay at a lodge/hotel in Joshimath.
- Day 2 / Short drive to Dhak (1 hr approx), Trek from Dhak (2,103 m/6,900 ft) to Gulling/Akhrotghetta (2,864 m/9,396) ft; 4 km/5-6 hours trek.
- After breakfast and a short drive to Dhak, we will reach the starting point of our trek. From here, we will hike to Gulling, cutting through the Auli meadows which are ideal for skiing. On our way through the forests, we will be able to see the Nanda Devi peak among others. We will walk down through the Oak, Chestnut, Deodar and Maple trees to arrive at our campsite in Gulling. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 3 / Gulling/Akhrotghetta ft to Khullara (3,390 m/11,125 ft); 2.5 km/3-4 hours trek.
- After breakfast, we will start our trek to reach Khullara, ascending the pastures full of grazing sheep. At Khullara top we would have marvelous views of the Chaukhamba, Kedarnath, Neelkanth, Dronagiri, Haathi-Ghodi, etc. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 4 / Acclimatisation day- Khullara to Kuari Pass (3,815 m/12,516 ft) and camp at the base of Pangarchulla Peak; 7 km/7-8 hours trek.
- With an early breakfast, we start our day’s trek on the ascending slopes of a challenging rocky terrain, which will take us to the Kuari Pass. Walking through deep snowy routes, the morning will greet us with mesmerizing views, including the Nanda Devi and Trishul peaks. After soaking in the magical surroundings, we will resume our walk down to the camp where we will unwind and celebrate. Based on conditions we could also go back to Khullara campsite instead of camping at Pangarchulla base. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 5 / Base Camp to Pangarchulla Summit (4,593 m/5,069 ft) and return to Khullara; 10 km/8-10 hours trek.
- The route passes through the uneven rocky terrains. The route is covered with snow, with the stunning peaks of Nanda Devi, Trishul, Changabhang. If the trekkers arrive early at the base camp, then they can trek further down to Khullara. Overnight stay in tents.
- Day 6 / Khullara to Auli (2,680 m/8,790 ft); 11.5 km, 8 hours trek, back to Joshimath. Overnight stay at hotel/lodge in Joshimath.
- Day 7 / Drive from Auli to Dehradun. 280 km/7-8 hour drive.
- All camping, trekking equipment including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat etc.
- Porters/ponies to carry the camping equipment and rations, along with the rucksack.
- Services of personally trained professional guides, cooks and helpers in numbers appropriate to the group size.
- Forest entry and camping charges.
- Vegetarian food based on your preferences during the trek.
- Camping on the trek nights.
- Ground support.
- Technical mountaineering equipment including Snow Boots, climbing ropes, Gaiters, Crampons and ice-axe for ice climbing, pitons etc. Could be arranged on request at additional cost.
- Personal expenses/items not mentioned above.
- Goods & Services Tax.
- Transport from and to Dehradun: Optional, we arrange transport Dehradun-Auli/Joshimath-Dehradun at an additional cost to members.
- Any item not mentioned in inclusions.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then