Skiing & Trekking in Dayara Bugyal
Dayara Bugyal, in Uttarkashi district, meaning "high altitude meadow" is at an elevation of 3,408 metres (11,181 ft). The beautiful meadows are developed into ski slopes covering an area of 28 square kilometres (11 sq mi). It is approached from Uttarkashi, up to village Basru by road and further 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) by trekking.
It’s the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top.Robert M Pirsig
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Dodital
- Departure: Dehradun or Rishikesh
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30°50’8″N 78°33’30″E
- Nearest City (Airport): Jolly Grant (Dehradun)
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dehradun
- Duration: 4 Days
- Best Months: Jan-Mar
- Dates: On request
- Level: Moderate
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Winter expedition and beginner skiing program to Dayara Bugyal:
The trek to Dayara Bugyal is one of the most loved summer and post monsoon trek in the Himalayas that we conduct. You can find more information about the trek itself here. The endless meadows that are thought to be amongst the most beautiful in the Himalayas offer a panoramic 360 degree view of some of the most prominent mountains in the Himalayas.
Come winter and these meadows get transformed into some of the best ski slopes in the country with a perfect gradient and right amount of snow to learn skiing.
This program we conduct is a combination of winter trekking that give beginners a perfect taste of how mountaineering feels like with the use of snow boots and gaiters along with use of snow craft techniques. This combined with an introductory course in skiing that you can eventually pursue further if you build the interest and inclination turns out to be a very fulfilling adventure experience for beginners
- Day 1 / Drive from Dehradun to Barsu (190 km, 6-7 hour drive)
- Barsu is Starting point of the Dayara Bugyal trek. This is a beautiful and quaint hill town unlike most towns in Garhwal. A very progressive town and also offers the first views of permanent snow including the Srikanth and Gangotri range. The drive passes Mussourie, the Tehri dam reservoir and Uttarkashi through twisty mountain terrain to reach Barsu. At night camp/at a resort in Barsu.
- Day 2 / Trek from Barsu to Barnala(5 km, 3-4 hour trek), begin the first days skiing program
- Trek 5 km from Barsu to Barnala. The trek is fairly steep and goes through some very dense forests and opens up into a beautiful meadow. All the way offering very beautiful views. It is likely that you will find snow fairly early on hence the use of snow boots will begin from Barsu itself. We are looking at an early morning start around 7 am so that we establish camp by 11 am and begin the first day of skiing training thereafter.
- Day 3 / Early morning attempt the summit of Dayara Bugyal(3 km, 3-4 hour trek), followed by skiing at Barnala
- A pre sunrise start around 4 am just the way they do it during expeditions. It is going to be cold but it will get quite comfortable once you start walking. We start early when attempting a summit as these are the best conditions for climbing and you will catch the sunrise around 6 am on the nearby mountains when you are close to the summit- the best view you will get during the entire trip. Return to base by 9 am in time for breakfast. 2nd day of skiing training resumes.
- Day 4 / Trek back to Barsu (5 km, 1 hour trek) and drive back to Dehradun.
- All the expedition related costs with luxury trekking facilities for the 5 days, our fixed departures are not budget treks, but offer high end trekking facilities.
- All camping and climbing equipment including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, a dining tent and toilet tents for all the members, snow boots, gaiters, skiing equipment.
- Porters/ponies to carry your personal stuff and the camping equipment.
- Services of personally trained professional guides and ski instructors, cooks and helpers in numbers appropriate to the group size.
- Forest entry and camping charges.
- Food(Veg/Non-Veg) based on your preferences starting with Dinner on Day 1 to Lunch on Day 5.
- Stay/camping in a resort in Barsu and for the 1st night and the 4th night. Since this is a remote area, the rooms in the resort cottages are basic but clean. Our staff will provide you with hot water if you require.
- Ground support from one of the most experienced team of adventurers in the country.
- Personal expenses/items not mentioned above.
- Service tax
- Transport ex Dehradun: Optional, we arrange transport ex Dehradun at an additional pass on cost to members: the cost for an AC Innova is an extra 3,500 per head. This includes transport with 4-5 people sharing a car along with pick up and drop to a location of your choice in Dehradun, Hotel/Home stay rooms on twin sharing on the morning of departure for freshening up and breakfast..
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience. Join today.
Price: On request
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then