Hornbill Festival and Kaziranga Experience
The state of Nagaland in the North East of India is home to several tribes each of which are distinct in their language, culture and customs. The festivals are important to the tribes as these revolve around agriculture, which is a major profession in the state. The Nagas consider their festivals sacred and so participation in these festivals is essential. To encourage inter-tribal interaction and to promote cultural heritage of Nagaland, the Government of Nagaland organizes the Hornbill Festival every year in the first week of December. The festival is named after the Indian hornbill, the large and colourful forest bird, which is displayed in folklore in most of the state’s tribes. If you are headed to the Hornbill festival, it’s a great opportunity to combine this trip with a stay and safari at the popular Rhino destination – Kaziranga National Park. This experience will allow you to do just that.
Tribe follows tribe, and nation follows nation, like the waves of the sea. It is the order of nature, and regret is useless.Chief Seattle
- Destination: Nagaland, Assam
- Nearest City (Airport): Dimapur, Guwahati
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Dimapur, Guwahati
- Dates: 5-10 Dec (Itinerary customisable based on request)
- Level: Easy
- Price: On request
If you are going to the North East India, experience the best of the best in the wild Nagaland and Assam.
Hornbill festival is one of the most colourful festivals. It’s a celebration of local tribal art & culture, food coupled with natural beauty of the place and people. Theres quite a bit of history too – Kohima was site for one of the bloodiest battles between the British and INA supported Japanese army during the World War II. The beautifully silent war cemetry and a thoughtful World War II memorial is a testimony to that.
From colourful Nagaland, we move onto the wild Assam right in the heart of Kaziranga National Park with safaris, and stay in the wild with the Rhinos, Elephants and more such abundant wildlife.
- Day 1 / Arrive in Dimapur
- Arrive in Dimapur airport and directly drive to Kohima ( 2 hrs approx) . Overnight stay in Kohima.
- Day 2 / Kohima
- Enjoy the full day at Hornbill Festival at Kisama Heritage Village, which is around 9 km from Kohima. You can see different tribes of Nagaland in Hornbil Festival. Dances, food, display of culture and riots of colour is the order of the day at the Hornbill festival. Overnight stay in Kohima.
- Day 3 / Kohima
- After breakfast, drive to Khonoma Green village. 20 km from Kohima, this is truly green as you approach the village. The village is estimated to be around 700 years old and is spread over an area of 123sq.km. The total population of the village is about 3000, settled in 600 households. Khonoma is famous for its forests and a unique form of agriculture, including some of the oldest terraced cultivation in the region. We will walk around the village. After visiting Khonoma, we will go to see the Hornbill Festival. Overnight stay in Kohima.
- Day 4 / Kohima – Kaziranga ( 6 hrs approx)
- After breakfast, visit World War II Memorial and then drive to Kaziranga (around 6 hours). Overnight stay in Kaziranga National Park.
- Day 5 / Kaziranga National Park
- After breakfast, experience the Elephant Safari on the back of an elephant. Really unique way to discover the wildlife here esp. the one horned rhinoceros. After breakfast visit the Orchid Garden (optional). After lunch take the Jeep Safari to look for the elusive tigers and other wildlife. Overnight stay in Kaziranga National Park.
- Day 6 / Departure
- After breakfast drive to Guwahati airport/railway station (5 hrs approx) for the return journey.
- Please Note:
- (1) We are not responsible for any law and order, natural calamity, strikes etc. (2) Every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes, landslide, heavy snowfall etc., which are beyond our control, all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes without prior notice and any additional cost, will be borne by the guests directly. (3) Elephant seat subject to availability. (4) Booking process will be done after deposition of 50% as advance and rest you are requested clear 30 days prior to start of the tour. (5) Terms and conditions apply. (6) For permits in Nagaland , you are requested to mail us the scanned copy of Driving License or Passport or Voter ID Card of each member Also 2 Passport size photos of each person. It takes minimum 2 days to get. Saturday and Sunday closed. (7) Permits are required for Indian Nationals only in Nagaland. (8) Rates may be changed if there is any hike regarding the jungle safaris and fuel. (9) The trip runs if we have a minimum of 6 confirmed travellers. In the event that we don’t get the requisite numbers we can run with less than 6 travellers if the traveler are willing to pay slightly extra. Alternatively we reimburse the amount paid to the participants minus any minimal bank charges that may have been cut.
- All Accommodation twin sharing with breakfast in an authentic home stay (Kohima) and resort (Kaziranga).
- Transportation (All sightseeing, long drive, airport pick up & drop).
- 1 Elephant Safari ( Elephant seats subject to availability).
- 1 Jeep Safari in Kaziranga National Park.
- Kaziranga National Park Entry Fees.
- Drivers Allowances.
- Car Parking.
- Local Guide in Nagaland.
- All Permits for Nagaland.
- Camera fees.
- Cost for Evening snacks & Tea and lunch,Dinner and other meals.
- Cost for service not mentioned under the “cost includes” heads.
- Cost for airfare, train fare or any other internal fare.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, soft drinks, mineral water, porter, tip etc.
- Liability for or insurance against injury, loss of life, accidents or loss of goods.
- Expenses incurred due to change in oil price, mishaps, landslide, strike, political unrest etc. In such case, extra will be charged as per actual which will be collected directly from the guest.
- All entries.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the Experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other? If yes, then