Kedar Tal Trek
Kedar Tal (also known as Shiva’s lake) is a glacial lake in the Garhwal Himalyan region in Uttarakhand. Situated at 4,750 m/15,580 ft. the lake is surrounded by the towering peaks of Thalay Sagar (6,904 m/22,650 ft), meru (6,672 m/21,890 ft), Bhrigupanth (6,772 m/22,218 ft) among others. In the Hindu mythology the lake is considered to be Lord Shiva’s contribution to Bhagirathi (one of the sources of River Ganges).
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than one seeks.John Muir
- Destination: Uttarakhand
- Location: Garhwal region, trek beyond the source of the Ganga
- Google Map Co-ordinates: 30.9099° N, 78.9582° E
- Nearest City (Airport): Dehradun
- Nearest City (Railway Station): Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- Duration: 8 Days
- Dates: On request
- Level: Moderate To Difficult
- Guide: Available
- Price: On request
Kedar Tal trek is not an easy trek. It’s a high altitude trek and is moderate to difficult. Having said that the trek is extremely beautiful with some amazing views of the Himalayan peaks up close. Starting from the holy town of Gangotri, the trail goes through the pine forest and then through the high altitude pastures leads up to the lake, which will be around 17 km. Along the way and in the various stops or the camping sites there is an amazing view of the Himalayan peaks all through. It is easily one of the most beautiful treks in the Indian Himalayas.
- Day 1 / Drive from Dehradun to Gangotri (3,100 m/10,200 ft): 250 km/8-9 hour drive.
- For a large part of this trek, we will be following the river Bhagirathi up to its source. For the first day, a large part of the drive will be along the banks of this sacred river. The road is twisty and windy but very beautiful. Spend the night in the holy town of Gangotri in a hotel along the banks of this river.
- Day 2 / Gangotri to Bhojkharak (3,780 m/12,450 ft): 6.5 km/5-6 hours trek.
- First day of the trek and there is a steep ascent all the way. The trail is rocky for most part of the day. While we are walking we could hear the KedarGanga river furiously passing by. While the trail is rocky we will have a green cover as well in the form of branches of fir trees. After four hours of trekking a narrow trail emerges out of the forest that will lead us to the campsite after another 1-2 hours of walking.
- Day 3 / Bhojkharak to Kedarkharak (4,267 m/14,000 ft): 4 km/5-6 hours trek.
- Today’s trek is less difficult when compared to the previous day’s hike. There is 1 km of steep ascent followed by 3 km of gradual ascents. The temperature dips as we will be climbing higher and we might observe thin layer of ice in the streams that we pass by. We will be camping in a large meadow with a few boulders around next to a wide stream.
- Day 4 / KedraKharak to Kedar Tal (4,912 m/16,116 ft): 5 km/6-7 hours trek.
- We will be starting a bit early as today will be longer and more difficult than the previous days. We will be continuously climbing up on a difficult rocky terrain for most part of the day. The last 400 m we wil be descending. Since we are already in high altitude, the ascent will be a bit taxing as we will grasp for oxygen from the air. It is advised to walk slow and keep on hydrating oneself regularly by drinking water. While the terrain is very barren and rocky, the view around is spectacular as we will be inching closer to the majestic peaks around us. The campsite is only a few metres of the lake on the slopes of the mountain.
- Day 5 / Rest and exploration day in Kedar Tal with the option of trekking further towards Jogin 3 advanced base camp.
- Day 6 / Kedar Tal to BhojKharak: 9 km/5-6 hours trek.
- We will trace the same path that we took while climbing. It will be easier descending but one needs to be careful of loose rocks in that rocky terrain.
- Day 7 / Trek to Gangotri, drive to Uttarkashi. 8 km/3 hours trek. 3-4 hours drive to Uttarkashi.
- Day 8 / Drive to Dehradun. 145 km/5-6 hours.
- All camping, trekking and mountaineering equipment including tents, sleeping bag, carry mat, a dining tent for all all the members. This also includes all the technical mountaineering equipment including Snow Boots, climbing ropes, Gaiters, Crampons and ice-axe for ice climbing, pitons etc. if there is a summit attempt.
- Porters to carry the camping equipment and rations, and luggage.
- Services of personally trained professional guides, cooks and helpers in numbers appropriate to the group size.
- Forest entry and camping charges.
- Food (Veg/Non-Veg) based on your preferences starting with Dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 8.
- Camping on the trek nights.
- Ground support from one of the most experienced team of adventurers in the country.
- Personal expenses/items not mentioned above.
- Goods & Services Tax.
- Transport from and to Dehradun: Optional, we arrange transport Dehradun-Gangotri-Dehradun at an additional cost.
Book or Personalize
Its interesting, isn’t it?
Its now time to go out there and experience.
Hope you liked it. Do you want to request some changes and personalize the experience – in terms of date of travel, exclusive group, additional facilities and any other?If yes, then